• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Ninan

While I'm waiting on my iHerb order I've been taking huge amounts (8-10 mg/day) of folic acid to see if it made any difference (my problem is that my response to B12 is diminishing drastically). Doesn't seem to help though. I hope the metafolin will do it, or the SAMe maybe.

I'm a bit confused about the different types of B12 available. I take mecobalamin, which Fred says is a good kind, but what is the difference between that and methylB12? And hydroxyB12 and cyanoB12? Can someone help me get this straight?

Thanks,
Nina

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
For a starter:
MethylB12 and methylcobalamin are the same thing.
HydroxyB12 and hydroxycobalamin are the same thing.
CyanoB12 and cyanocobalamin are the same thing.
AdenosylB12 and adenosylcobalamin are the same thing.

MethylB12 is sometime abbreviated mb12, so maybe mecobalamin is short for methylcobalamin?

MethylB12 and adenoslyB12 are active forms used by your body.
HydroxyB12 and cyanoB12 are inactive forms used in supplements. They must be converted to an active form by your body before it can use them. Not everyone's body can do this.

Would someone else like to continue?

Dear Fredd,

I have just started your protocol 5 days back. I am taking the Jarrow Methyl , Metafolin and potassium. I notice I get headaches and I feel some of my symptoms are coming back like some muscle cramping and parasthesia. Is this ok ? Also I am feeling very anxious and weepy.

Lots of love,
Deepak

maddietod

For me, muscle cramps and tension headaches point to low potassium. I also get strange emotions from low potassium.

Madie

adreno

PR activist
Today I have taken around 2000 mg potassium already. Is it ok to take more ?

In my opinion it is safe, if you have normal kidney function, as long as you space it out, and don't take it all at once. I take about 300mg every hour, and sometimes even more. I'm always low in the morning, and take 1g as soon as I wake up.

By waiting 1 hour between doses, you can control the level of potassium you get (takes about 40min for a dose to be absorbed). Just continue taking the potassium in small increments, until your symptoms are under control.

Make sure you get enough water, as well as the other electrolytes (calcium, magnesium, sodium).

Dreambirdie

work in progress

jeffrez

I became very ill with some extreme symptoms from taking 800 mg in one day last month. I documented my experiences on the following thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...e-ill&highlight=potassium+supplements+made+me

Everybody is different. I would assess my need for potassium VERY carefully, before taking such high doses.

I agree. I had severe hypoglycemia attacks from taking potassium. Rather than just taking K indiscriminately, best idea is probably to stick to a slower protocol that doesn't have as much potential to make you drastically deficient suddenly, while still remaining vigilant for signs of deficiency. JMHO - if you're helped by potassium then obviously do what's working for you.

Pea

Dear Fredd,

I have just started your protocol 5 days back. I am taking the Jarrow Methyl , Metafolin and potassium. I notice I get headaches and I feel some of my symptoms are coming back like some muscle cramping and parasthesia. Is this ok ? Also I am feeling very anxious and weepy.

Lots of love,
Deepak

Deepak, I would try more magnesium rather than more potassium. Magnesium may help with the muscle cramping, and it will help the potassium work.

when you say headaches, anxious, and weepy - I am wondering if you're not low on serotonin.

Ninan

One and a half week since my iHerb package arrived. To try and make my B12 shots have the tremendous effect they used to, I now take:

400mg Jarrow SAM-e (before breakfast)
5000IU Doctor's Best D3 (before breakfast)
A&D Source naturals (10 000IU A and 400 IU D) (before breakfast)
99mg Potassium citrate (Thorne) (before breakfast)
3x800 mg Metafolin (solgar) (with breakfast, lunch and dinner)
2xDouglas laboratories B-complex with metafolin (before breakfast and at bedtime)
3x1000mg TMG, Now foods (at breakfast, lunch and dinner)
2x300mg GammaE, Jarrow (with breakfast and dinner)
2x100 mg R-Lipoic Acid (Doctor's Best) (before breakfast and at bedtime)
2x250 mg Magnesium (before breakfast and at bedtime)
2x500 mg Kalcium (before breakfast and at bedtime)
3x1000mg Fish oil (at breakfast, lunch and dinner)
2x2,25g Vitamin C (Now foods ascorbic acid powder in water)
500-1500 mg Acetyl-L-Carnitine
Three tabs of Source naturals Dibencozide, sublingual
I tab of Jarrow methylB12 and 1 tab of enzymatics B12 Infusion a day, sublingual, timed just before an injection
2x10mg Mecobalamin injections

No change yet but I guess I have to give it time. Any ideas or adjustments? Is the amount of Metafolin too much? And when do I know if it works or not?

Thanks,
Nina

Its been about a week since I am taking 5g MB12, 800 mg Folate and about 1000-1500 mg Potassium everyday.

I feel I am getting more muscle aches and burning sensations. Is this normal ?

Also, is it ok to stop this protocol cold turkey for a couple of days and see how one feels ?

Are there any tests which could indicate that one indeed needs this methylation ??

Love,
Deepak

I am also getting sniffles and itchy throat, and a kind of runny nose but not that much and slight headache. I normally never get allergic kind sniffles and itchy throat.

Pea

Deepak, make sure you are getting enough Vitamin D. This will help your serotonin. Also my friend was the same way - no itchy-type cold symptoms in years, was on 4,500 IU of D but stopped it for a different protocol, and then he got a cold, and muscle aches returned and muscle function reduced. It could be a lot of things, and maybe you get enough sunlight/natural D being in India, but thought I'd mention that.

Pea , I had got my vitamin D levels tested last year and were very low - just 6 - then I took 3 injections of D3 and my levels now are around 70. I also take 2000 mg vitamin D daily now as supplements.

It is interesting that even though India is so rich in sunlight , vitamin D shortage has become almost an epidemic here- nearly everyone seems to be testing deficient. There was an article I read that since the pollution is so much, even though sun shine is there, by the time the rays reach us they are too contaminated or something.

One question - may sound silly but I get confused with so much technical information about this methylation thing.

Why is folate needed ? Cant we just take the mb12 and nothing else ? If no folate then no need to bother about potassium no ?

Sorry if its a silly question but today I took just the mb12 and feel better than I was taking all 3

*GG*

Pea , I had got my vitamin D levels tested last year and were very low - just 6 - then I took 3 injections of D3 and my levels now are around 70. I also take 2000 mg vitamin D daily now as supplements.

It is interesting that even though India is so rich in sunlight , vitamin D shortage has become almost an epidemic here- nearly everyone seems to be testing deficient. There was an article I read that since the pollution is so much, even though sun shine is there, by the time the rays reach us they are too contaminated or something.

I've read that African Americans are often Vitamin D deficient, due to their dark skin, so perhaps it is the same for many others with darker skin? Haven't read about other populations, and thier Vitamin D levels.

GG

Pea

I just read that histimine is an excitatory neurotransmitter. So if you have cold symptoms, your histimine is high, right? So something was keeping histimine in check, and then not, so Deepak and my friend both got colds. I wish I understood the neurotransmitter relationships.