• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone try infrared light therapy?

Hope_eternal

Has anyone tried infrared light therapy to help with the extreme fatigue component of ME? I read that it can help and wanted to see if others had any positive results. Thank you!

Mary

Moderator Resource
Has anyone tried infrared light therapy to help with the extreme fatigue component of ME? I read that it can help and wanted to see if others had any positive results. Thank you!

A red and near infrared light device has helped me with muscular (maybe tendon?) pain. It took a couple of weeks to see results but it did work. Unfortunately, it has not helped me with energy. However, sitting in the light is very calming so I look forward to it each morning. Also, my brother-in-law with thinning hair swears that his hair is getting thicker after using the red light, and I believe him - he's a very skeptical person! He also finds it calming.

Several companies will let you use their devices for free for 60 days which I think is a good trial period to see if it gives you any benefits. I originally bought a large panel from Mitoredlight.com and used it for a few weeks and realized it was too large and cumbersome for me to manage. I had to pay return shipping (shipping to me was free), but my money was quickly refunded and I bought a smaller device.

They do make stands now which can hold the larger panels so you can more easily maneuver or place them -

Hope_eternal

A red and near infrared light device has helped me with muscular (maybe tendon?) pain. It took a couple of weeks to see results but it did work. Unfortunately, it has not helped me with energy. However, sitting in the light is very calming so I look forward to it each morning. Also, my brother-in-law with thinning hair swears that his hair is getting thicker after using the red light, and I believe him - he's a very skeptical person! He also finds it calming.

Several companies will let you use their devices for free for 60 days which I think is a good trial period to see if it gives you any benefits. I originally bought a large panel from Mitoredlight.com and used it for a few weeks and realized it was too large and cumbersome for me to manage. I had to pay return shipping (shipping to me was free), but my money was quickly refunded and I bought a smaller device.

They do make stands now which can hold the larger panels so you can more easily maneuver or place them -
thank you so much for your response! I appreciate all the information you provided and learning about your experience with it. It’s so easy to get caught up in the promises/hope a possible treatment/therapy claims to provide. It’s hard to sort through all the claims. The fact that it brings you comfort and calm may be worth a try though. I’m going continue to look further into it. Thanks again!

Hope_eternal

I haven't read the whole thread but you might find some of the discussion here helpful: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/red-and-near-infrared-light-therapy-leds.79181/

Johannes also has an entire thread on sun therapy he's using. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/a-treatment-that-helps-me-tremendously.87136/
Thank you so much for the links! I haven’t gotten through all the threads but it certainly seems there’s no guarantee it will help eliminate the fatigue. Hmm 🤨 what a puzzle! I’ll keep reading though. I appreciate you taking the time to respond and providing the links.

brenda

I bought this one recently:

https://www.blockbluelight.co.uk/products/red-light-therapy-powerpanel-mega

as I had been awarded my backdated PIP. I had been thinking of buying one for ages and am very glad I did.

I set it for 2 minutes for the first session and felt the benefit after it. It helps the mitochondria to release nitric oxide, and it was obvious that this is a problem for me.

Four sessions later, and running it for 3 minutes, and it is definitely working. My sleep is better too and it makes me sweat. I will build up to 20 mins. It is best to take it slowly and do plenty of research on it as it is easily overdone.

SWAlexander

I'm glad your larger red light device works well for you!
I've found that my smaller one has been helpful too, especially during my bout with COVID-19.
I'm curious if one of its effects might be reducing cytokine levels.
It's also definitely improved my sleep.

ilivewithcfs

I tried it. When I was using it according to the instructions on the box, it did nothing. Recently I started putting my head closer to it, and I got some improvement. (Although I'm not entirely sure, as I tried other things at the same time)

On Raelan Agle's YouTube channel I watched an interview with a doctor, who specializes in ME. She says, that 8 out of 10 people improve with it. This is really all you need to know. It's worth a shot.

Most importantly, make sure to start low and increase the duration of the treatments very slowly and gradually. Otherwise he'll be in a crash. I tried it first for 12 minutes,and got a crash that lasted more than a week. Then I started with 2 minutes, and every 4-5 days I increased the duration by 1 minute. This way I successfully built up to 15 minutes of treatment without crashes

Last edited:

SWAlexander

a crash that lasted more than a week

Excerpt from my research, related to my own experience with UV and red light.

Red light and UV play a pivotal role, not just in illuminating our world but also in energizing the very cells that compose our bodies. Within this luminous interplay, photons—particles of light—emerge not only as carriers of energy but also as catalysts of biological processes and a byproduct of life's unending cycle. Among these processes, the emission of biophotons stands out as a subtle glow produced by the body's cells as they go about their metabolic activities.

This interaction influences health through therapies aimed at mending what is broken or enhancing what functions. Yet, this engagement with light is a double-edged sword, especially for those navigating the challenges of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). For individuals living in the shadows, whether by choice or necessity, their world is often dimly lit, serving as a muted sanctuary from the overwhelming stimuli of the outside.

However, the introduction of light can tip the scales. The very photons that were meant to invigorate can instead lead to a crash, a deep plunge into exhaustion that can last for days, serving as a stark reminder of the body's limits.

Nevertheless, nothing can exist in the dark for long. We need light that energizes our very own photons to feed our cells and produce energy.

Last edited:

Hope_eternal

On Raelan Agle's YouTube channel I watched an interview with a doctor, who specializes in ME. She says, that 8 out of 10 people improve with it. This is really all you need to know. It's worth a shot.

Most importantly, make sure to start low and increase the duration of the treatments very slowly and gradually. Otherwise he'll be in a crash.
That is really good to know. It’s encouraging to hear it’s helpful for a great majority. Thank you for sharing your experience and the recommendation to start slow. I think we are going to consider trying this out on him. Seems to be worth a shot.