• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Else Find Meditation Greatly Helps Their Condition?

Jackb23

About me: 26 y/o male. Mild ME/CFS for 9 years now. Have been able to "function" and most of my symptoms are related to cognition and brain fog. The best I have ever been was probably sophomore year of college when I was on 450 mg wellbutrin and meditating for 40 minutes a day.

In February I did a new neurofeedback protocol and it f'd me up big time. I only did 40 minutes total (2 sessions) of this new protocol but my god, I am just bone tired all of the time and dont even have the energy to watch tv sometimes. I have had to take off work and have two more months offs. I also gave myself horrible, horrible derealization but this is slowly going away. I didnt realize just how good I had it as far as ME/CFS goes. Currently my energy levels are at 30-40% what they used to be. I am hoping that this treatment doesnt stick or last forever for obvious reasons. In the meantime I want to try and get back on Wellbutrin if I can tolerate it and also start meditating again. I am kind of scared with how severe and recent my derealization was, however, but meditation isnt what caused this.

Has anyone else found meditation to be super, super helpful?

ilivewithcfs

Meditation helps me a lot. It helps me more than all of the meds and supplements I've tried. I do it twice a day every day without excuses. People with cfs shouldn't underestimate it, some people even managed to completely recover due to meditation. It doesn't give me complete recovery, but definitely helps a lot. I hate every minute of it, but I do it anyway.

perchance dreamer

I don't meditate, but breathing exercises help calm me, which indirectly helps my pain. I think that's because pain increases sympathetic nervous activity, and slow, controlled breathing tamps that down and increases parasympathetic activity, which seems to lessen pain, in my case.

The breathing exercises I follow along with on youtube also help my sleep, which helps everything.

maddietod

Yes. Meditation stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system, and has been a part of my strategy to keep all types of stress very very low. It's also a pretty amazing brain-training system, and this process of watching my thoughts has taught me how much of my reality I make up - which parts of it I can change. My relationships are either much better or released.

I sometimes sit in silence now and hum very deeply in my throat to get the same CNS stimulation. This gets me to sleep in minutes.

Mimicry

Meditation helps my mental health a lot but it's never done anything for my ME symptoms, chronic pain, nausea etc. I've been doing some sort of mindfulness on and off for ten years or so and my conditions (except cptsd, anxiety and depression which have been getting better) have been declining year by year.