• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anti nausea meds and long COVID

Husband of

Subtitle: could anti nausea medication during COVID recovery make it more likely you'll get long COVID?

Hi all,

it's been five weeks now since I got COVID and I'm still not recovered, but in particular I'm suffering from nausea.

the doc said I could get anti nausea medication if I wanted, but I'm not sure whether it's a good idea. Could it prevent me from getting better, make it more likely I'll get long COVID?

i don't know much about nausea or anti nausea medication, all I know is that docs recommend meds like paracetamol and ibuprofen to treat fever and inflammation when that's not necessarily a good idea, as fever and inflammation are fundamental to the immune response to the pathogen.

more generally, if anyone has any thoughts about how to clear a virus from your gut specifically, I'd love to hear

Husband of

I don't know an answer to your question but have you tried using hydrocortisone with liposomal vitamin C? or IV Vitamin C if you can access a clinic which does it? https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/dr-thomas-levy-how-covid-helped-me-regain-good-health.86870/
I was taking 5-10g of liposomal vit c per day at the start but stopped doing so. And wouldnt have needed hydrocortisone as I had high stress levels due to work anyway! But you did remind me to take vit c, so have started again.

Husband of

Oh my other random thought was - hot drinks? Fever kills viruses, so hot drinks might kill viruses in the stomach?

lyran

Ginger may also help with nausea, so drinking ginger tea may be a good idea.

Oregano oil is also great. I use enteric coated oregano oil capsules every time I get a bug.

Husband of

Shanti1

Administrator
Actually turns out you can't get photo bizmol (bismuth subsalycilate) in my country (new zealand). It's mentioned so often in American tv that I didn't even realise you can't get it here.

Oh wow, I thought pepto bismol was everywhere!

To get back to your original question, many anti-nausea drugs are serotonin antagonists at the 5HT3 receptor. It looks like these may have anti-COVID properties as well: https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article/8/7/ofab336/6320906
but knowing which medication your doctor wants to prescribe would be necessary to answer your question.

Another question to ask is if your symptoms are due to residual damage/inflammation/microbiome remodeling or if you are still shedding the virus. I'm not sure if COVID stool testing is offered in Australia, but that may be worth doing if you're inclined.

Husband of

Oh wow, I thought pepto bismol was everywhere!

To get back to your original question, many anti-nausea drugs are serotonin antagonists at the 5HT3 receptor. It looks like these may have anti-COVID properties as well: https://academic.oup.com/ofid/article/8/7/ofab336/6320906
but knowing which medication your doctor wants to prescribe would be necessary to answer your question.

Another question to ask is if your symptoms are due to residual damage/inflammation/microbiome remodeling or if you are still shedding the virus. I'm not sure if COVID stool testing is offered in Australia, but that may be worth doing if you're inclined.
Thanks. I will get the prescription and see what It is.

The nausea and GI issues are definitely the main thing at this point I'm hoping But I am still getting other immune response type symptoms (low fever, headaches, tinnitus, brain fog) which I'm hoping relate to the virus (or rna) rather than something more long-COVID-esque.

i could check if they do COVID stool tests in NZ because we give aussies enough shit as it is 😂

anne_likes_red

Actually turns out you can't get photo bizmol (bismuth subsalycilate) in my country (new zealand). It's mentioned so often in American tv that I didn't even realise you can't get it here.

I have Covid now (in NZ) and I'm using Thorne Peptiguard which contains bismuth citrate along with some gut soothing herbs - aloe vera, licorice and berberine.
I buy my Thorne products from iherb. They've got a lot more expensive lately, I think in good part due to increased transport costs.
..It's not really free shipping, they hike up the prices to cover it!
Anyway, that may be an option for you if you want to try bismuth. I read it can work synergistically with NAC so I'm taking that too.

Husband of

I have Covid now (in NZ) and I'm using Thorne Peptiguard which contains bismuth citrate along with some gut soothing herbs - aloe vera, licorice and berberine.
I buy my Thorne products from iherb. They've got a lot more expensive lately, I think in good part due to increased transport costs.
..It's not really free shipping, they hike up the prices to cover it!
Anyway, that may be an option for you if you want to try bismuth. I read it can work synergistically with NAC so I'm taking that too.
Very interesting, thanks

Wayne

i don't know much about nausea or anti nausea medication

Hi @Husband of -- I took a single dose of an anti-nausea medication called Promethazine over four years ago and experienced some catastrophic results, some which continue to this day. I later learned that what I experienced was rare, but not unusual.

Promethazine is an anticholinergic drug, so you may want to look into that classification of drugs before taking any kind of anti-nausea medication (they can cause permanent memory loss and cognitive decline, even after taking it for a short while). Below is a link to what I was posting immediately following the beginning of my crisis. Bottom line: be very, very cautious.

Need Advice - Having Very Adverse Reactions to Promethazine (Phenergan)

Regarding dealing with long covid, I started a thread on that as well, which has tons of ideas and possibilities:

Dr. Thomas Levy -- How COVID Helped Me Regain Good Health

Hi @Husband of -- I took a single dose of an anti-nausea medication called Promethazine over four years ago and experienced some catastrophic results, some which continue to this day. I later learned that what I experienced was rare, but not unusual.

Promethazine is an anticholinergic drug, so you may want to look into that classification of drugs before taking any kind of anti-nausea medication (they can cause permanent memory loss and cognitive decline, even after taking it for a short while). Below is a link to what I was posting immediately following the beginning of my crisis. Bottom line: be very, very cautious.

Need Advice - Having Very Adverse Reactions to Promethazine (Phenergan)

Regarding dealing with long covid, I started a thread on that as well, which has tons of ideas and possibilities:

Dr. Thomas Levy -- How COVID Helped Me Regain Good Health

Hi Wayne, I found your posts about your experience with promethazone and particularly tinnitus - I wanted to ask, did the tinnitus ever go away for you?

I took some anticholinergic meds last summer and got tinnitus as well. Its got a lot better but not fully gone. I've done a lot of research and I have some ideas as to what could have happened and possibly how to treat it but still working on these ideas. Just wanted to see if it went away for you or if you found something that helped (you mentioned liver and thiamine and vagus nerve stimulation).

Wayne

I took some anticholinergic meds last summer and got tinnitus as well. Its got a lot better but not fully gone. I've done a lot of research and I have some ideas as to what could have happened and possibly how to treat it but still working on these ideas.

Hi @kmiki7 -- Thanks for asking about my experience. I still have the tinnitus, which stayed at almost unbearable levels for about 2 years. Then things started to very gradually improve, and now after five years, have reached a point where I'm able to "manage" it. That is, it still bothers me daily, but not at the extreme level it did in the beginning.

I'm very interested in some of your ideas about what happned to you (and possibly me), as I still don't know what the mechanism was that caused the tinnitus. And if I did, it might give me some ideas as well as to how I might improve things. I very much look forward to hearing some of your thoughts and ideas on this all. Thanks!

Rufous McKinney

many anti-nausea drugs are serotonin antagonists

I was given the primary anti nausea drug ...its truly awful. And I hardly took any. Gut turned to cement. (I have IBS-d type system, so cement gut is NOT OK)

Ondansetron

chinese traditional medicine has much better substances for nausea. You really can't stop the primary nausea during an intense thing like gastropersis (which I get recurrent bouts of). But once its starting to back off a bit, these other items are helpful.

Rufous McKinney

as I still don't know what the mechanism was that caused the tinnitus. And if I did,

You should check out videos posted on You Tube by Dr. Hauser from the Florida Prolotherapy place.

He reviews many types of tinnitus and what might be causing it.

I generally call my version: brain electrified.

Hi @kmiki7 -- Thanks for asking about my experience. I still have the tinnitus, which stayed at almost unbearable levels for about 2 years. Then things started to very gradually improve, and now after five years, have reached a point where I'm able to "manage" it. That is, it still bothers me daily, but not at the extreme level it did in the beginning.

I'm very interested in some of your ideas about what happned to you (and possibly me), as I still don't know what the mechanism was that caused the tinnitus. And if I did, it might give me some ideas as well as to how I might improve things. I very much look forward to hearing some of your thoughts and ideas on this all. Thanks!

Hi Wayne,

thanks for getting back to me. I will be happy to share my ideas.

Can I first ask (before I forget, and in case this response becomes way too long) -

five years ago when your tinnitus began, what other medications other than promethazine were you taking? (if any).

Also, I have spent some time on the tinnitustalk forum and looked up promethazine and possibly found a few of your posts there as well? That user's story pretty much coincides with yours so I figured it probably was you? If so, you mentioned there that you already had hyperacusis before you got tinnitus. My question is, at which point did you get hyperacusis? Do you remember what started it?

Also, are you on any medications right now and have you been on any meds these past 5 years?

And my other question and also something that might give you hope - have you seen a post on tinnitus talk by a user that had tinnitus for 30 years and it went away after he started taking TPP (a version of B1 vitamin?) https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/thiamine-pyrophosphate-tpp-stopped-my-tinnitus.13673/

I will attempt to briefly tell you my story and my current theory.

Back in July I took several doses of an anticholinergic medication, a muscle relaxant. Took it for three days in a small dose, got tinnitus in both ears after 3 days. In addition to tinnitus, I got severely dry mouth, later also dry eyes. Spent a few months trying to undertsnad how those things could possibly be connected.

My tinnitus and dry mouth (which actually went away recently) seem to react to almost any medications/supplements that I take. There has to be some sort of explanation and mechanism behind this.

Anyway, while researching dry eyes on reddit, I found a user that said that a supplement called Alpha GPC helped them and cured their dry eyes. This is basically a choline supplement. Choline is a building block of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that sends messages to nerves and muscles etc. I found in my research, that it's acetylcholine that "tells" your mucus glands to produce liquid, such as saliva or tears. This again made me think that something must be on with my acetylcholine because like I said, my tinnitus came together with dry mouth and dry eyes.

Have you ever looked into choline supplements? How is your diet? Are you eating enough choline?

The other aspect of this is acetylcholine needs other things aside from choline, and that's where that guy from tinnitustalk comes in, who was helped by B1. B1 is necessary for acetylcholine formation. Interesting point is that that guy had been actually taking B1 before but in a non-coenzymated form and it did nothing for him, but the special coenzimated form got rid of his tinnitus.

My theory as you can understand is that something is going on with our cholinergic systems. We took anticholinergic medications which are known to deplete acetylcholine from your system as far as I understand. Now something is going on and we need to restore that balance. Medications deplete acetylcholine and they also deplete thiamine (or B1) - so that's another hint. I don't know about you, but my tinnitus reacts to almost any medication or supplement that I take - magnesium, vit D, proton pump inhibitors etc, almost any medication makes my ears tighter and tinnitus louder.

The mechanism of this, I believe, has to do with endolymphatic fluid. Just like with your mouth and eyes - acetylcholine is needed to create saliva and tears. Same in inner ear, quite possible that lack of acetylcholine causes imbalances in fluid balance and that causes tight ears, hyperacusis and tinnitus.

What do you think? Have you explored any of these avenues?