• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Andrographis Paniculata - and it's many effects

bertiedog

get EVERY cold/flu that goes around; did you have the same problem, and if so, did increasing NK cells help make you robust & resistant to colds/flus?

I am similar in that I seem to pick up every virus that goes around but not flu thankfully. I am not sure if I have had Covid at the beginning of the year but today did the Abbott's antibody test which will tell me one way or another.

Andrographis is always in my cupboard and is my go too remedy when a virus hits me that seems especially bad. What I now do AT THE FIRST SIGN OF VIRUS which for me is usually a sore throat or twitchy nose I drop pure Echinacea Augustifolia down my throat every few hours together with Biocidin throat spray. I also do salt sniffing at least 3 times a day. Usually these measures will get rid of any virus within 3 days but if this doesn't work as it didn't when I had severe mystery virus at the beginning of this year that went on for several months on and off I then take about 4 double strength Andrographis capsules as well as the other herbs.

Rarely now do I need antibiotics but it did happen this year just once because I got so unwell.

I feel it does give me migraines but there again most things do! I ended up this year taking it daily for many weeks.

Pam

YippeeKi YOW !!

Though it does help me so much. I don't think I'd stop taking it anyways! :whistle:
Well, that's the ultimate proof. The "Pudding Proof", and nothing tops it (I was going to say '...trumps it...', but ..... you know ....)
See my response to @ebethc above.
Thank you !!!! Not sure when I'll be hitting that, but I want to be prepared .....
I'm really glad to hear you're feeling well enough to begin edging into an experimental phase! :thumbsup:
It's more like an act of faith and semi-desperation ..... I don;t seem to be snapping back from that viral thang, which had all the earmarks of COVID but no proof, cause even tho anyone can get a test who wants one, that seems to exclude pretty much all of us ..... go know :rolleyes::rolleyes: .....
:):):lol::lol::lol::lol: :woot::woot: :thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug:

godlovesatrier

I generally take it when crashing, so if I've taken BCAA's and other stuff like mushroom complex to PEM cancel or buffer, when the body finally starts to tire and the energy levels to drop into a crash, I take andrographis to bottom out. I suspect it calms the body if it attempts to crash. Works well enough for me, not perfect of course.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I don;t seem to be snapping back from that viral thang, which had all the earmarks of COVID but no proof,
Sorry to hear that! Though I know that's pretty common too unfortunately - the lingering effects. It might be worth getting an antibody test if you're able to swing it - but I don't know how hard it is to get one. I'm hoping that Cellfood will help me rebound when I get COVID-19 (I don't think it's a matter of if but when . . . )

ebethc

It isnt't an MSG/glutamate factor that concerns me re: andrographis, it's the fact that if it acts much like a benzo, it's activating your GABA receptors, which can run the risk of down-regulating them, and for me at least, that way lies misery ....

interesting.... is it a weak or equivalent effect, though? can you provide research links? thx

YippeeKi YOW !!

interesting.... is it a weak or equivalent effect, though? can you provide research links? thx
I can't pull up the memory banks for the research article I stumbled across that info in, it as awhile ago, but I would imagine it's a dose-equivalent effect, just like benzos ....

If you've had GABA/glutamate balancing issues along with down-regulated GABA receptors, you might want to do a search before trying andrographis. If not, I would imagine it shoud be pretty safe with careful use.

ebethc

If you've had GABA/glutamate balancing issues along with down-regulated GABA receptors, you might want to do a search before trying andrographis. If not, I would imagine it shoud be pretty safe with careful use.

I've benefitted from andrographis, I've just never taken higher doses over a month or two, or taken 1 pill a day for a month or "prophylactically"... that's the part that's new.... I'm sensitive to glutamine, so maybe GABA/glutamate problems??

YippeeKi YOW !!

I'm sensitive to glutamine, so maybe GABA/glutamate problems??
That's entirely possible. It seems that a surprizing percentage of the ME crowd here has, or has had, extreme sensitivities to glutamine/glutamate. It seems that some of us have a system that can't seem to remember that glutamine can be converted to GABA or glutamate, and opts repeatedly for the latter ..... I was on such a restricted diet in an effort to control my sensitivity that I was living on about 2 or 3, and then 4 or 5 things and water for the longest.
I've just never taken higher doses over a month or two, or taken 1 pill a day for a month or "prophylactically"... that's the part that's new.
Forgive me, I'm having a sort of whirligig day of bad vertigo, and I can;t seem to decode the above .... gimme a hand, yes? Brain function is shite right now ..... :xeyes::xeyes::xeyes: .....

ebethc

Forgive me, I'm having a sort of whirligig day of bad vertigo, and I can;t seem to decode the above .... gimme a hand, yes? Brain function is shite right now ..... :xeyes::xeyes::xeyes: .....

oh, I just meant that I'm trying something new w dosing...def taking more than I have in the past in the next few weeks or so

bertiedog

Just to say that I have these issues and have taken Andrographis when needed for years but I have never experienced any bento like effect, in fact I never feel great when taking it. I have taken it for long periods after a bout of viruses and definitely no effect on my nervous system apart from a tendency to more migraines when I am taking it.

Pam

YippeeKi YOW !!

oh, I just meant that I'm trying something new w dosing...def taking more than I have in the past in the next few weeks or so
Got it !!! Thank you for the clarification... everything's kinda blurry right now.

If you've used it for a while with o bad reactions you're gonna be OK, as far as I can figure, which today i about from me to my water glass, 2 feet away .... just watch for usual warning signs of reduced GABA and too-dominant glutamine/mate....

kewia

@godlovesatrier,
I've tried it yesterday, but it seems to increase pressure in my neck and gave me a wired feeling and more dizziness. It even seems to constrict my vessels or tightening up some bands under my neck and head.

I've only tried ~ 100 - 200mg yesterday, my glass still contains the majority of it and the effects still not wear off.
I'm frustrated.

And it's really bitter, if you just smell it you also taste the bitterness.

godlovesatrier

Hey,

I suggest persevering with it @kewia because it crosses the blood brain barrier. So if it's not stopping you working then take it. It took me maybe a year to get over the main herx on andrographis. No idea what I killed off but I would take some and feel like absolute death. Over the years it's got to the stage where I barely herx on it at all and that's with some very big breaks in between doses. Of course it could be doing almost anything.

It is stimulating to the immune system but should t exacerbate autoimmunity. So take in the AM and no later than 2pm.

It's amazing for tummy hugs. I haven't had a tummy bug in 6 years. I put that down to taki t andrographis and possibly now probiotics.

ilivewithcfs

I'm considering trying andrographis. I've read, that it has antiviral, antiinflammatory and neuroprotective properties, all of that sounds really tempting, plus some people on reddit found success with it. However, after hours of research I still have some questions.
I'm confused about the duration of the treatment. I found a study, where people with MS took andro daily for 12 months without serious adverse events. Here's the study. And at the same time, some Youtube doctors say, that you can't take it for more than 10 days, and the label on the product I want to use says "don't take it for longer than a month". So what is the truth? For how long is it safe to take it? How long the duration of the treatment should be for it to be effective? How safe is this product in general?
Any other thoughts and advice regarding andrographis will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

pamojja

@ilivewithcfs I can't give advice, since everyone might react differently to different herbs due to biochemical individuality. Personally took low dose Kalmegh, about 40 mg/d for first 4 years, and 190 mg/d in average the following 6 years.

No ill effects. Positive effects in my case are difficult to pin down to only one herb, since I take the whole plethora of Ayurvedic herbs, most of them in low doses, for synergistic effects. Along with Orthomolecular medicine, the main western herbal extracts and lifestyle interventions.

lyran

I'm confused about the duration of the treatment. I found a study, where people with MS took andro daily for 12 months without serious adverse events. Here's the study. And at the same time, some Youtube doctors say, that you can't take it for more than 10 days, and the label on the product I want to use says "don't take it for longer than a month".
In my opinion doctors are just being overly cautious. If for example something does cause ill effects in 1/10 000 people taking it for longer than one month, they must say not to use it for longer than that. There are some herbs like larrea tridentata that does cause hepatoxicity with fairly low doses and you probably shouldn't use it but Andrographis is so commonly used without any issues that I would think it is fairly safe. I myself remember using it for a few months in the past without any issues but everyone is different.

Maybe you could take it for a month first to see if you notice any effects from it and then decide if you keep using it or not.