• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why the Psychosomatic View on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Is Inconsistent with Current Evidence and Harmful to Patients

SWAlexander

It is time that we stop accepting ME/CFS as a psychosomatic illness.

Abstract

Since 1969, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) has been classified as a neurological disease in the International Classification of Diseases by the World Health Organization. Although numerous studies over time have uncovered organic abnormalities in patients with ME/CFS, and the majority of researchers to date classify the disease as organic, many physicians still believe that ME/CFS is a psychosomatic illness. In this article, we show how detrimental this belief is to the care and well-being of affected patients and, as a consequence, how important the education of physicians and the public is to stop misdiagnosis, mistreatment, and stigmatization on the grounds of incorrect psychosomatic attributions about the etiology and clinical course of ME/CFS.

7. Conclusion: False Psychosomatic Attributions on the Etiology of ME/CFS Hinder Adequate Patient Care

Even though, in recent years, more and more healthcare practitioners view ME/CFS correctly as a somatic illness, there are still widespread views in the medical community of ME/CFS being a psychosomatic illness. These views are detrimental for affected patients as they can result in misdiagnosis and harmful therapies, such as GET, which can result in lasting worsening of symptoms. Moreover, false psychosomatic attributions lead to stigmatization. A correct biomedical understanding of ME/CFS in line with the current state of empirical evidence for treatment is, therefore, essential to providing adequate care to patients with ME/CFS.
https://www.mdpi.com/1648-9144/60/1...kQcqTzfpqWxhC3cZg_X44rRtJSStL8eoc6QaCk2HDLshs

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Idk. When I emailed Nancy Cavey about ME she said it's viewed as a somatoform condition. She didn't make that sound like a positive either.

Perplexity.ai says, "Somatic and psychosomatic refer to different types of disorders. Somatic disorders are characterized by physical symptoms that cause excessive concern, while psychosomatic disorders involve physical symptoms caused or exacerbated by mental stress and distress. Psychosomatic disorders are sometimes called somatic symptom disorder, where the physical symptoms are often without a medical explanation and can affect various parts of the body. People with psychosomatic disorders may seek frequent medical attention, believing their problems are caused by medical conditions. On the other hand, somatic symptom disorders include conditions such as somatic symptom disorder, illness anxiety disorder, and functional neurological symptom disorder, where individuals experience excessive thoughts, feelings, or concerns about their physical symptoms, affecting their daily functioning
. Treating somatoform disorders, which make up most of psychosomatic illnesses, may involve establishing a trusting and supportive relationship between the person and their doctor, regular checkups, and referral to a psychiatrist for assistance with managing the disorder
."

Maybe someone can clarify that for me because neither classification sounds great. It just makes me wish they would use something that doesn't have the word "somatic" in it at all.

hapl808

It's terrible terminology.

My understanding:

Somatic illness technically just means 'related to the body'. In other words, cancer is a somatic illness, AIDS is a somatic illness, etc.

However, somatic symptom disorder is what you describe - where they claim 'the symptoms are real', but basically you're causing your own distress. It's another side of the psychosomatic coin. The only difference is whether you're overly obsessed with your symptoms or you're creating your symptoms.

So when someone uses the word somatic, it really depends on context. Some use it to mean somatic symptom disorder, and some use it just to mean not mental. Big difference. :(

lenora

Unless a syndrome is proven to be a disease, I think the psychology of it being a psychosomatic illness is always a hindrance. Some doctors, nurses, members of the medical establishment accept this one way or the other. Usually those who have family or friends affected, understand more about the condition.

Unfortunately a lot of psychiatric ills, including depression, have a lot of the same symptoms that we do. I don't feel guilt or ashamed about this....most illnesses have some form of psychosomatic illness. Are we ill, yes, are we depressed, usually yes at some point, are we pretending? Absolutely not. See, there is a difference. I believe in the mind/body connection...but it has yet to be proven to most people.

Of course I'm angered when it gets back to me that someone doesn't believe that certain things exist, but illness usually cures them of such thinking. And no, I don't wish any illness upon them.

Sadly, many of the orphan diseases are thrown in the same waste basket. It's hard enough for me to figure out exactly what's bothering me, when and why, so perhaps I have a little more understanding of why a doctor would be confused (shall we say?).

Personally, I'm sick of doctors, the illness(es) in my case, don't need a stigma attached to them. I hold my head high, and readily explain the illness to all who ask....and yes, quite a few people do. My loved ones and friends do believe me and I'm very open with them. Questions are always welcome, reading is freely given, but I know something is amiss, it's real and I have periods of up and down. Just like you.

It is 3:30 a.m., and here I sit with my infernal insomnia. This has been going on for 40 years.....and I've tried just about everything. I don't take my exhaustion out on others, one bad night doesn't mean the next will be good....no, it's not bipolar illness (I even thought I had it), there is a brain defect, a hormonal defect and I beg you not to think of yourself as defective. Enough people will do that for you, but they're becoming less all of the time. I wish you could all be healed. Yours, Lenora