• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Waking up suddenly/jerking awake

I have been waking up suddenly at night with a jerk. It startles me. It happens most nights at the moment, Does anyone else get this?

For a while this was my least favorite CFS symptom and they got so bad I consulted every one of my doctors about them, but didnt find any relief until I dug deeper. Mine got pretty severe and kind of evolved into convulsions - my partner thought I was having seizures. They are called hypnic jerks, or myoclonic jerks. For me they are caused by anything excitatory to the nervous system.

I learned that for myself there are several triggers which are all associated with excitation of the nervous system. My theory (take with a grain of salt) is that my CFS has caused some nerve damage so normal amounts of excitation rattle my CNS more potently. Once I figured out my triggers, I could then slightly relieve the jerks by avoiding the triggers.

Triggers that contribute to CNS excitation for me:

1. Cortisol. I noticed my jerks happen when my waking cortisol would begin to rise about 6am. I also noticed much more severe jerks if my BLood sugar was out of balance or low. low blood sugar results in excess cortisol or adrenaline. Ive found that sunflower lecithin greatly improves this cortisol aspect as it regulates it. I also know inositol regulates blood sugar.

2. Histamine. Higher histamine eating days = worse jerks. Vitamin C also helps the jerks and I attribute it to its anti-histamine effect. But it could also be reducing glutamate.

3. Glutamate. Highly excitatory. Protein powders were making this problem way worse, and things that mopped up glutamates like Resveratrol were helping.

4. Acetylcholine. Fish oil, alpha lipoic acid, thiamine were all making the problem worse.

5. Excess dopamine / epinephrine. Melatonin and lithium both reduce dopamine. Both of these help.

Summary of things that helped.

1. Lithium orotate. This has been a game changer. I suspect by healing NMDR receptors, lowering glutamate and dopamine. Protecting the blood brain barrier. Healing nerves. I take 300mcg ~ 5pm. Most people start at 1mg or 1000mcg.
2. Melatonin. Lowers dopamine.
3. Sunflower lecithin. Contains Phosphatidyl serine and innositol. Regulate Blood sugar / cortisol.
4. Vitamin C.
5. Low dose Resveratrol - my understanding as to why this helps is its ability to mop up excess glutamate.

This answer was probably overkill!’ But im so happy I hacked this symptom. I can now take as much choline after adding these things in. Rarely get them anymore.

Last edited:
For a while this was my least favorite CFS symptom and they got so bad I consulted every one of my doctors about them, but didnt find any relief until I dug deeper. Mine got pretty severe and kind of evolved into convulsions - my partner thought I was having seizures. They are called hypnic jerks, or myoclonic jerks. For me they are caused by anything excitatory to the nervous system.

I learned that for myself there are several triggers which are all associated with excitation of the nervous system. My theory (take with a grain of salt) is that my CFS has caused some nerve damage so normal amounts of excitation rattle my CNS more potently. Once I figured out my triggers, I could then slightly relieve the jerks by avoiding the triggers.

Triggers that contribute to CNS excitation for me:

1. Cortisol. I noticed my jerks happen when my waking cortisol would begin to rise about 6am. I also noticed much more severe jerks if my BLood sugar was out of balance or low. low blood sugar results in excess cortisol or adrenaline. Ive found that sunflower lecithin greatly improves this cortisol aspect as it regulates it. I also know inositol regulates blood sugar.

2. Histamine. Higher histamine eating days = worse jerks. Vitamin C also helps the jerks and I attribute it to its anti-histamine effect. But it could also be reducing glutamate.

3. Glutamate. Highly excitatory. Protein powders were making this problem way worse, and things that mopped up glutamates like Resveratrol were helping.

4. Acetylcholine. Fish oil, alpha lipoic acid, thiamine were all making the problem worse.

5. Excess dopamine / epinephrine. Melatonin and lithium both reduce dopamine. Both of these help.

Summary of things that helped.

1. Lithium orotate. This has been a game changer. I suspect by healing NMDR receptors, lowering glutamate and dopamine. Protecting the blood brain barrier. Healing nerves. I take 300mcg ~ 5pm. Most people start at 1mg or 1000mcg.
2. Melatonin. Lowers dopamine.
3. Sunflower lecithin. Contains Phosphatidyl serine and innositol. Regulate Blood sugar / cortisol.
4. Vitamin C.
5. Low dose Resveratrol - my understanding as to why this helps is its ability to mop up excess glutamate.

This answer was probably overkill!’ But im so happy I hacked this symptom. I can now take as much choline after adding these things in. Rarely get them anymore.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I wonder whether clonazepam can help too. I know Dr Cheney used it for CFS. Does this help with hypnic jerks?

No problem. Yeah I forgot to add benzos, they definitely help as well but I try to avoid taking them because I get rebound anxiety / glutamate symptoms. Its kind of like an emergency bandaid solution for me, while the other stuff is long term.