• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rocephin IV Question

Daffodil

Hi All. I wanted to know if anyone had IV Rocephin but peripherally, without a PICC line, for prolonged periods of time. I was wondering about phlebitis risk

Thanks!

valentinelynx

Here's a study you may find useful, of phlebitis in patients getting infusion through peripheral catheters (regular IV's). On a quick glance it seems they found that phlebitis is more likely with longer cathether indwelling time (e.g. over 3 days has a high incidence), and that ceftriaxone was more often associated with phlebitis after removal of the catheter. It's a little hard to follow; was probably translated from Spanish.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Hi All. I wanted to know if anyone had IV Rocephin but peripherally, without a PICC line, for prolonged periods of time. I was wondering about phlebitis risk

Thanks!

You could consider IM injections and rotate injection sites. You can mix ceftriaxone with 1ml lidocaine and 3mls water for injection. There wouldnt be much of a difference in peak levels and duration of action. Might also be worth doing initially if concerned about tolerating the drug and then consider an IV or picc line later on?

Ive never heard of it but wonder if its worth looking into ie that is a subcut infusion of ceftriaxone similar to how people do the gamma globulin infusions at home.
Cheers

Daffodil

Thanks @heapsreal ! I was asking for a friend. He wants to do it without a PICC line but for some reason, his doc says no...something about risk of phlebitis. ...but I did it without a PICC line myself yrs ago...

Thinktank

I had it done in 2013. 2 x 3 months IV ceftriaxone, 5 days/week. My veins felt a bit tender at times, but nothing serious, no phlebitis at all. IV azitromycine however was really harsh, nasty stuff.