• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Propranolol antiviral against covid19 [Study] Mar 2023

godlovesatrier

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10003112/

Furthermore, we could show that R-propranolol has broad-spectrum activity against different SARS-CoV-2 variants, including Delta and Omicron, and it also inhibited other highly pathogenic coronaviruses, i.e., SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV. The compound had no virucidal effect and time-of-addition assays suggested that it inhibited a post-entry step of the replication cycle.

I found this study and saw that we have quite a few people who take propranolol. I tihnk I might need some because I started with pots two days ago and it has yet to stop. Heart rate is 80 in bed and goes up to 110 when i get up to go to the toilet.

Previous thread is here: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/propranolol.56472/

@Murph any thoughts?

Murph

:)
That's amazing.

I'm on propranolol and it helps me. The explanation given has always been that preventing heartt rate spikes is helpful in avoiding symptoms. But ... propranolol is supposed to reduce blood pressure, which is the opposite of what you'd want in POTS. so it's always been odd that it seems so effective.

(For me it seems to let me do far more exercise, but I sometimes wonder if it sucks the joy out of life as well, taking away any bursts of excitement. )

Now I'm wondering if its actual effect is to reduce the load of some sneaky virus that's hiding inside us?! if so i'd be smart to move to this R-propranolol which has the antiviral effect without the beta-blocking effect!

godlovesatrier

I just got the script for the propranolol. I am hoping it will improve my QoL - as most games that involve adrenaline fuck me over in a very short space of time. I had remission from HPA axis dysfunction very briefly between Dec 2022 and April 2023, but I then crashed probably post booster.

Do you take 5mg a day? It seems like that is the go to start dose :)

Thanks!

bertiedog

I have to take 40 mg standard Propananol in the mornings and 30 mg in the afternoon to control my blood sugar which is a bit too high despite being very slim and fairly active (but with also loads of rest periods through the day and evening). I also eat a very healthy diet and have done for years.

Previously I only needed 20 mg twice daily to control POTS and I started this over 20 years ago. My blood pressure issue started after my first Covid vaccine in 2021. I have had 3 more boosters since which I react negatively too. The last one in late October gave me the equivalents of a nasty virus within 2 days of having the injection and I felt very unwell for about 4-5 days with an apparent virus.

However I seem to be one of the few people who haven't had Covid despite doing weekly or twice weekly supermarket shopping and attending weekly seated yoga classes where people are often coughing and there is a lot of beathing out!. I also visit a few friends who have had Covid and all my family members have had Covid.

I have also got 3 SNPs on the ACE2 enzyme and don't know if that is supposed to be useful or not.

So not sure what to think to be honest.

Pam

Murph

:)
Just while we're talking about propranolol, I saw this graphic in a new paper:

fimmu-14-1294758-g001.jpg

it shows that antibodies to the beta 2 adrenergic receptors are very different on average between healthy controls and patients. (right hand picture, p values in red.)

These are the receptors that are blocked by beta-blockers like propranolol.

It's possible that if we have antibodies to these receptors that blocking them is helpful. I'm not 100% sure science has the mechanism figured out here but maybe it's as simple as the fact that if they're blocked the autoantibodies can't recognise them.

THis is all part of the great Scheibenbogen hypothesis of antibodies to adrenergic receptors causing our problems. Of course these are weird autoantibodies because even healthy people seem to have them. They're usefu!. The theory is just that we have too many.

Scheibenbogen blames muscarinic receptors as well as beta-adrenergic receptors. However this study didn't find such strong results for anti-muscarinic receptors (which were tested by CellTrend in Germany, whose results are under a bit of a cloud when it comes to POTS).

I'll also chuck in this link: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37835071/ Scheibenbogen is doing a trial to flter beta antibodies out of blood and claims it has worked for 7 out of 10 patients. Results look a bit mild to me but she is pressing on to do a placebo-controlled trial.

Last edited:

godlovesatrier

Just found out proponolol is no good for asthmatics. So I've got to take the other one that starts with an M instead. Be nice if my Dr had got me the right meds to begin with.

I'm also helping it will calm down my adrenaline levels too been having issues with adrenaline for years.

Frustrating that the health service in the UK is so broken. I never see the same Dr and they never seem to fully read my file.

hapl808

Just found out proponolol is no good for asthmatics. So I've got to take the other one that starts with an M instead. Be nice if my Dr had got me the right meds to begin with.

Interesting. I tried propranolol and didn't feel good even on low doses. I don't think I have typical asthma, but allergies cause me weird breathing issues sometimes - maybe more mast cell disorder type. I've wondered if it's worth trialing metoprolol as well.

godlovesatrier

metoprolol definitely seems to work ok for asthma patients according to reddit. My anxiety has been quite bad the last six months, combination of reasons I guess, but now it's likely going to be much worse with post covid convalescence. Metoprolol can help with that though, even though my dr says it won't but he's not correct.

I'd really like to get the anxious tight chest/adrenaline surging and poor quality sleep from adrenaline under control, I think it'll keep me working for a bit longer. I am kind of expecting to get covid again next year and not really expecting to have a very good time of it even if I do, so not sure how many years of work I have left in me.

I was on propranolol when I got a horrible case of covid that lasted for a month :( so if it has any antiviral properties I'd be very surprised. But who knows, maybe it does and I would have been dead if I hadn't been on it!