• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Muscle Loss (in legs)

JasonPerth

Muscle Loss/ Glutes/Hamstrings

Hi, I’ve recently declined after i did a Lawn Bowls event in the midst of a crash and got a common cold later on in the same week.
Decline = from a 6/10(mild) to a 1/10 (housebound/bedbound)

Because of the muscles being used in the Lawn Bowls event i attended, the action of lunging.
My legs and glutes in particular where in agony 2 days later when moved, like extremely stiff)
I couldnt even get dressed and put any pants on.
I had to shuffle like a penguin to move for 2-3 days.
That same week as the muscles slowly got less painful- i got the common cold. And my muscle loss/ joints clicking started.

Anyway months later i have many new symptoms like pots i believe mcas and cognitive issues like eye floaters and brain fog. and my once big glute muscles and hamstring muscles are just about dead/non existent.

Now whenever im sitting down even if its a soft and comfortable chair ill get numb or a dead leg

Even crossing my legs seems to cause me to get numb.

Does anyone else with the fat/muscle loss in the bottom/hamstrings also get numb very easily when a small amount of pressure like crossing legs or sitting on a couch cause blood flow issues?!
Any tips besides lay down 24/7?

Why did i never loose muscle when i was mild however i did one lawn bowl event and got a cold in the same week and all of a sudden im housebound with muscle wasting. Perhaps it was just my first major crash?

What you are describing is really the only symptom im left with after 7 years. Any type of over-working induces wasting. havent figured it out yet.

I have also noticed that this topic is rare so not discussed often.

JasonPerth

What you are describing is really the only symptom im left with after 7 years. Any type of over-working induces wasting. havent figured it out yet.

I have also noticed that this topic is rare so not discussed often.
In all honestly, the muscle wasting is all over the body (beside the gut lol)
Its just most noticeable as i was an athlete, and my legs where my biggest muscles that didnt really deteriorate when my Mecfs was Mild 2016-2022

So the glute, hamstrings suddenly disappearing was a shock to me
Now im at a steady 80kg after suddenly loosing all muscle at 92kg but im now at a moderate/severe baseline with dysautonomia issues now like pots/mcas making the QOLife a 1/10 when it was always like a 6/10 before.

Im unsure why i deteriorated
Either randomly like many with ME do in the 5-10year mark i believe,
Or rhinovirus + a lawn bowls party I attended when feeling horrible (crash)

Or the Vaccines as my QOL shifted as soon as i had them and the deterioration event happened months after it, and i had strange symptoms ive never had before , before the events above,

No idea