• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Multi mineral supplement

godlovesatrier

I've noticed a few people who've done well seem to be taking of these. I've noted learner1 is taking Thorne Biomins and that Joshua Leisk has added all the biomins minerals plus lithium to his newly updated protocol (which I am not taking).

Thing is I took the following multi mineral last year:

Screenshot_2022-05-27-21-10-34-23_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013NFS5U/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_6D7HA5HKP5J078X21FAB

However when I took the above I'd get a temperature and feel sort of light headed and off. Has anyone ever felt like this before on a mineral complex? Any thoughts on why that might happen or what I might be encountering when I take it?

I used to take centrum men's multi vitamin when I was healthy and noted it always gave me a 25% boost in my energy levels. I figure it's likely to do the same thing now but the chelated minerals seem to have much stronger reactions for me when I take them over the supermarket brands (which often contain folic which I want to stay away from).

YippeeKi YOW !!

Any thoughts on why that might happen or what I might be encountering when I take it?
Well, for starters, the inactive ingredients. I'm starting to fade a bit, so Im not up to a deep search, and this is just off the top of my head, so take it for what it's worth after doing your own search, but di-calcium phosphate has never been a friend to my system, ditto microcrystalline cellulose and hydroxypropol methylcellulose.

Combining zinc and copper except in very small amounts isn't the best way to take them for max bioavailability, since they compete each with the other for absorption. The form of magnesium, mag citrate, is the cheapest and the most poorly absorbed, which is the reason that it's so effective as a laxative, which is its primary use. It shoots straight through your digestive system to your colon, where it works its .... magic.

I find it odd that they don't quote the form of each mineral in the principal posting of ingredients, like 'Magnesium citrate' .... 'Selenomethionine' ..... 'zinc picolinate'. Instead, they list as the ingredient the most basic, undefined, simplest description, magnesium, selenium, zinc which is an unusual way to do that. The active form of each mineral is listed separately, down with the inactive ingredients that are used to create the capsule they're in, the mag stearate and silicon dioxide that is used to keep their machines from getting clogged with the powdered minerals, the di-calcium phosphate ... none of them particularly good for you.

They also use the salt form of molybdenum and boron, a fact they also bury down where they hope no one will notice.

All in all, it isn't a product that I'd probably use, but that's neither here nor there. There are better ones on the market. Check out Vital Nutrients. Not the cheapest, but as far as I know an honorable company with excellent, and extensive, supplement lines.

I used to take centrum men's multi vitamin
I havent checked their ingredients label recently but the last time I did, I was underwhelmed. Again, the cheapest, usually least bioavailable forms of almost everything, with an exception or two for things that have reached into the public consciousness, like using the better form, folate, instead of folic acid, all wrappd up in half a dozen anticaking, anti-clogging, and other excipients.

Again, check out Vital Nutrients ... they make a large range of multi-vits. I use one form (Multi V) and I got DB to take another which seems to have been beneficial.

There are other excellent choices, I just cite Vital Nutrients because I'm familiar with it, and I'm starting to develop an impressive throbbing head which precludes a lot of .... whaddaya call it .... you know .... that thing we do ... Wait !!! Thinking!!! Yeah, that's it.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Citrate...I'm going blind I swear 🤣
No, they carefully made sure you wouldn't see it. Or anything else they'd prefer you didn't .... I think the label is somewhat shifty in its presentation ...

The citrate could be causing you some grief. I know that I dont react well to it, in almost any form other an orange, but that's a different thing entirely ....

godlovesatrier

Haha true. It's a shitty supp. Biocare omg they are one of the only companies that sell magnesium malate. But now I've found a seller on iherb who's a quarter of the price. So they are obviously sharletans.

Thorne are still the best it seems.

I looked up vital but don't think I could find them.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I looked up vital but don't think I could find them.
The company name is VITAL NUTRIENTS. It's large and well-thought of.
Thorne are still the best it seems.
Thorne is absolutely excellent, but often pricier than even their reputation justifies. Vital Nutrients is also extremely good, and while not the cheapest, its products are excellent and multiple, so you can almost definitely find what you need. Hope you can find them in your next google.

godlovesatrier

Well I've restarted Thorne biomins ii for the millionth time. This time tho I actually got benefit and I felt loads stronger and more energised. Have been feeling rather weak post COVID.

But even pre COVID I think I was responding to zinc and I didn't know it at the time but I think I could have done with more magnesium ascorbate. I suspect it's good not just for lung inflammation but also for anxiety and general relaxation. I stopped it when if got my kidney stones. But I can take that stuff like candy. Up to 4g a day. I'm still amazed that 1g of vitamin c can be so effective at reducing inflammation. At least it's been instrumental in getting my lungs back to normal post COVID. But I did take about six doses of low dose hydrocortisone too.

Anyway biomins ii doesn't have any iron or copper in it I'm hoping this won't be an issue. Will buy the one with those two in it and try it when I get paid.

Here's to kicking long covid symptoms down the drain!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I was going to try Source Naturals Krebs Minerals. I think they're called Life- something. Iherb has the iron free version and Amazon US has the kind that includes iron.

Anyway it looked pretty good. Seems to be mostly quality versions of the different minerals.

It seems like Swanson discontinued their Krebs minerals. Those are the ones I had been taking but I'm nearly out. I wish they wouldn't do that.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
There is no harm but this is not likely to help ME/CFS.
Its been tried.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
There is no harm but this is not likely to help ME/CFS.
Its been tried.
No but it helps me with tachycardia. I noticed that my heart rates are lower the next day if I take one before bed at least for the Swanson kind.

Not sure if the other one will do the same especially with the malate forms on some of those minerals.