• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Keeping an eye on upcoming Vaccines

Forummember9922

Leaving out a very valid debate about the true origins of CFS, I think it is worth keeping an eye on upcoming vaccines- particularly those targeted towards different herpesviruses, and ones that claim to be therapeutic.

Here for example is Modernas pipeline and you can see there are vaccines for EBV, CMV, and HSV in development.

IMG_8087.jpeg

TLDR It may be useful to know if future participants with CFS experience any positive or negative effects RE CFS.

No doubt it would not be difficult to speculate why these may not be relevant or helpful, but if they are effective at their job and not helpful to CFS then that is perhaps still valuable information.

cfs since 1998

Interesting they are working on two different EBV vaccines. One to prevent infection and one for post-EBV sequelae ("long EBV" if you will). Their key challenge will be to come up with something that works without causing the conditions they are trying to prevent (autoimmune disease).

almost

Their key challenge will be to come up with something that works without causing the conditions they are trying to prevent (autoimmune disease).
I agree.

In addition, another challenge will be to come up with something that works without causing new conditions (significant side effects). The mRNA technology is still too new to know if there are long-term effects.

So 10 more years till market. It's great to read about potential developments but it seems there are never any stories about any fixes.

Forummember9922

So 10 more years till market. It's great to read about potential developments but it seems there are never any stories about any fixes.
The clinical trials for these are happening now. If you have HSV 2 you can currently join GSK or Modernas which claims to be a therapeutic vaccine that may work for HSV1 as well. The CMV one is in phase 3 so that's something to keep an eye on and an EBV one is also recruiting now- but only actively in the east coast. To go down an optimistic rabbit hole sometimes herpesviruses share the same glycoproteins so I would not be surprised if a HSV vaccine had anti EBV effects and vice versa, or it could make the other worse who knows. I would personally happily inject a vax for any herpesvirus. That's just my personal preference due to a calculated risk approach in a CFS world with minimal action-oriented options. The only thing that's a sure thing is it will be a long time waiting for a sure thing.