• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Iv saline treatments

sunshine44

Que sera sera
An imbalance of the Acid Base balance.

Possible. I did read something about how rapid IV saline can cause it. It was from an article/research paper about it being a complication of the use of IV saline during surgery. Are you taking any salt supplements? Just asking as 1 litre of "normal saline" contains 9 grams of sodium. Sounds like a lot.

Interesting. In hospital they kept telling me I’m going into lactic acidosis.

But the iv saline (slow) improved it and brought numbers down.

Crazy stuff. Obviously something going on here that I want to investigate further.

I am taking one Celtic sea salt electrolyte packet like once every day or two. Everything is nuts and I’ve had to back off of so much. So I’m not even taking much of anything rn.

Gp and home health care have not assisted at all in this situation, so my nurse friend came over yesterday and put me on a liquid diet. It’s assisting somewhat. 🙏

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Here’s the electrolyte packets I take when I can.

Attachments

• D08D1B4D-153B-4B56-A694-EFDC27A56038.jpeg
    D08D1B4D-153B-4B56-A694-EFDC27A56038.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
It sounds like I was mistaken. Tonight my nurse friend said there are only one liter bags so we aren’t sure where I got the number 3 from. I have no idea. Suffice it to say, 1 liter in a half hour was much too fast for me.

Thank you again.
1 liter in 30 minutes is still absurdly fast. 1 liter in an hour is pretty fast (I would never do an iv that fast if I could avoid it).

sunshine44

Que sera sera
1 liter in 30 minutes is still absurdly fast. 1 liter in an hour is pretty fast (I would never do an iv that fast if I could avoid it).

😵‍💫😩

I’m still struggling.
Gi shut down mostly after each iv. Day 6 I just started introducing more solid foods. Have only been on liquids and baby foods.

Unreal.

Like I was so excited to find this is available to me and then THIS happens. I get a nurse that runs it fast. Which I didn’t even know I could request. I had no idea. She told me she knew all about dysautonomia and has another patient with it… but apparently she doesn’t fully understand my situation it seems.

I have cancelled my 3 a week iv treatments dr ordered.

😵‍💫😩

I’m still struggling.
Gi shut down mostly after each iv. Day 6 I just started introducing more solid foods. Have only been on liquids and baby foods.

Unreal.

Like I was so excited to find this is available to me and then THIS happens. I get a nurse that runs it fast. Which I didn’t even know I could request. I had no idea. She told me she knew all about dysautonomia and has another patient with it… but apparently she doesn’t fully understand my situation it seems.

I have cancelled my 3 a week iv treatments dr ordered.
I'm surprised if she was familiar with dysautonomia that she ran it fast. I think conventional wisdom, if you want to retain the fluid is to run it slow. Maybe she didn't want to stay there for 8 -12 hours?

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I just adjust the speed of my iv myself.

Nord Wolf

The Northman
I mentioned through text, but figured I'd add it here as well.
When I was in the ER a year ago with H1N1, I was so severely dehydrated the docs said another few hours without treatment and my organs would start shutting down. They gave me 6 ringers (bags) of IV fluids to get my system back to normal levels.

The nurse began administering the first bag at a high level of flow, I guess figuring to hydrate me as quickly as possible with the severe level of dehydration. However, the ER doc came in a couple minutes later and said, Whoa! Slow that down to at least half that flow. He explain with severe dehydration and other conditions you can't deliver fluids rapidly for many reasons. One being a complete imbalance of electrolytes, like someone else posted in this thread. Another had something to do with the heart and another the brain, but I can't recall exactly what.

Anyway, it took hours for them to administer the 6 ringers of fluid. Rather that than be killed by IV fluids going in too quickly... 🙄

sunshine44

Que sera sera
I mentioned through text, but figured I'd add it here as well.
When I was in the ER a year ago with H1N1, I was so severely dehydrated the docs said another few hours without treatment and my organs would start shutting down. They gave me 6 ringers (bags) of IV fluids to get my system back to normal levels.

The nurse began administering the first bag at a high level of flow, I guess figuring to hydrate me as quickly as possible with the severe level of dehydration. However, the ER doc came in a couple minutes later and said, Whoa! Slow that down to at least half that flow. He explain with severe dehydration and other conditions you can't deliver fluids rapidly for many reasons. One being a complete imbalance of electrolytes, like someone else posted in this thread. Another had something to do with the heart and another the brain, but I can't recall exactly what.

Anyway, it took hours for them to administer the 6 ringers of fluid. Rather that than be killed by IV fluids going in too quickly... 🙄

Dang. How long did they do the 6 bags of fluids over? And was it saline bags or ringers? I’m surprised they don’t give me ringers sometimes since my potassium is always a little low. But, they’ve literally given me an entire bag of potassium after saline during hospitalization before. And magnesium. Which did help. But why didn’t they just do ringer bags 😂

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Dang. How long did they do the 6 bags of fluids over? And was it saline bags or ringers?
I don't recall how long... I was pretty out of it. But I was there for 6 hours if memory serves, and that damn IV needle was in the entire time.
They bill said "ringers". And the doc told my wife that it was saline and potassium as well as a potent dose of antinausea medication. But we never got paperwork showing the exact ingredients of what the bags contained.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
I don't recall how long... I was pretty out of it. But I was there for 6 hours if memory serves, and that damn IV needle was in the entire time.
They bill said "ringers". And the doc told my wife that it was saline and potassium as well as a potent dose of antinausea medication. But we never got paperwork showing the exact ingredients of what the bags contained.

Gotcha.
So like one an hour.
I feel
That’s what they do for me in er. Or one bag per 1 1/2 hrs. Which is more reasonable

Ringers as I know it are ringer lactate bags which contain potassium. But who knows what exactly you got like you said.