• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to get ARUP testing?

Hoosierfans

Any tips on how to get Enterovirus testing through ARUP? My doc has been trying to order this testing for 3 weeks now with no luck:

—- ARUP claims to have a contract w Labcorp. Labcorp says no such test / contract exists so won’t draw for it.

— ARUP claims to have a contract with one of our local health systems, but we call them and they have no such order / coding in the system so it can’t be drawn there.

— Local independent blood draw service who drew it for me 3 years ago has moved to “Healthlab only” testing so won’t draw it for me.

This has been the biggest PITA. My PCP has their own lab draw abilities at their office, but I understand getting it to ARUP may be logistically difficult (they’ve never worked with them before). Anyone have any pointers??

@sometexan84 any ideas???

Zebra

Hi, @Hoosierfans

I've had similar problems with other specialized tests. It's so frustrating.

Do you have a medical school / university-based hospital nearby?

In my experience, those institutions are the most adept at sending blood out to specialized labs as well getting one's insurance to pay for it.

Cipher

Administrator
Any tips on how to get Enterovirus testing through ARUP? My doc has been trying to order this testing for 3 weeks now with no luck:

Here's some information form @Hip's roadmap on this topic:
• ARUP Lab in Utah USA offer an antibody neutralization tests for coxsackievirus B and echovirus, costing around $200 each. You can order these tests directly through ARUP Lab, or order via LabCorp or Quest. LabCorp order codes: CVB=816869, EV=823361. Quest have a ARUP Lab Miscellaneous Order code of 39651 (this requires Quest to write on the order the ARUP codes for the ARUP tests you want, which are CVB=0060055 and EV=0060053).

Do check on your test results page that it says ARUP, because LabCorp and Quest often make errors, and perform these tests in-house using their own lab (which you do not want) rather than sending out to ARUP. See this thread.

You can order these ARUP tests more reliably (and without needing a doctor's order) through Any Lab Test Now.

Hoosierfans

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I do have a university health system / research facilities here but they will not run blood work unless it’s ordered by a doctor in their health system (my doc is not). So that’s a dead end.

I checked Any Lab Test now and they have no ARUP or echovirus / Enterovirus testing listed as available. Ugh.

@Hip any thoughts???

Hoosierfans

Yea. Our local Labcorp says they don’t run the test for ARUP anymore. @Hip

And my doc has called both major health systems in our area — neither will run it. And the one independent blood draw service in our area. They won’t do it either.

Any Lab Test now doesn’t list it as available on their website.

So honestly, I don’t know how it’s possible to get this testing done..:.

Cipher

Administrator
Any Lab Test now doesn’t list it as available on their website.
Seems like they don't have it on their website, but they can draw it on request:

I just recently found out I can get almost any lab I want, without a doctor. I know it won't apply to everyone. But if you're near an AnyLabTestNow (ALTN) location in the U.S. you may be able to do the same thing.

There are 160 locations (again, U.S. only, I think). I went to my local ALTN and they helped me get the ARUP labs enterovirus testing done. Apparently, there are WAY more tests available than what they have listed on their website.

You just have to contact them and tell them what you want. The thing is, it's a franchise, so each location is owned by an individual who needs to stir up business. So they help you out a lot, and they have flexibility on their pricing. My ALTN location nearby can do anything from Quest, Labcorp, ARUP, or CPL labs. I'm also asking them to help w/ other specialty labs.

Again, all of this w/out needing a doctor.

Hip

@Hip any thoughts???

Getting the ARUP CVB and echovirus tests done has always been frustratingly difficult, even when LabCorp and Quest were working with ARUP. Often LabCorp would make a mistake, and perform the testing using their in-house test (which is not as sensitive as the ARUP neutralisation test) rather than sending out the blood sample to ARUP.

So if there is any way you can work with ARUP directly, by shipping your blood serum sample to them by fast courier, this might actually be better.

A local phlebotomy service would be able to draw your blood, then straight away spin it in a centrifuge to separate out the pale yellow serum from your blood (you need to send ARUP the serum). ARUP say ambient temperature stability of the serum is 48 hours, so provided you send off the serum to ARUP the same day by a fast courier, it should be fine.

But the Any Lab Test Now option may be your easiest choice. You can enter your ZIP code here to find your closest one. Then contact them, and ask if they can send samples to ARUP.

sometexan84

—- ARUP claims to have a contract w Labcorp. Labcorp says no such test / contract exists so won’t draw for it.

— ARUP claims to have a contract with one of our local health systems, but we call them and they have no such order / coding in the system so it can’t be drawn there.

— Local independent blood draw service who drew it for me 3 years ago has moved to “Healthlab only” testing so won’t draw it for me.

This has been the biggest PITA. My PCP has their own lab draw abilities at their office, but I understand getting it to ARUP may be logistically difficult (they’ve never worked with them before). Anyone have any pointers??

@sometexan84 any ideas???
If you can get your doc to take the blood sample himself, he could mail it directly to ARUP (using their draw and mailing instructions) and there's a very high likelihood they will run the tests for you.

ARUP says they only work w/ their partners. However, I believe they will run tests from a non-partner up to 3 times per year. Any Lab Test Now is not an ARUP partner, yet I got it done twice this way.

For Any Lab Test Now, I had to go in and talk to them, explain everything, and eventually got them to understand and they were nice enough at that location to help me get it done. But it was a huge hassle.

Last edited:

sometexan84

A local phlebotomy service would be able to draw your blood, then straightaway spin it in a centrifuge to separate out the pale yellow serum from your blood (you need to send ARUP the serum). ARUP say ambient temperature stability of the serum is 48 hours, so provided you send off the serum to ARUP the same day by a fast courier, it should be fine.
This is a solid idea. Someone should try this

You may even try this idea and let ARUP know this was done through your doc, so they will have a doctor to send the test results to.

Hoosierfans

This is a solid idea. Someone should try this

You may even try this idea and let ARUP know this was done through your doc, so they will have a doctor to send the test results to.
So this is the crazyville in which I live. I live in a city of 300,00 people. I’ve called all the phlebotomy companies I can find online and not ONE serves my city. It’s nutso.

@sometexan84 yeah I will double check with my doc. They do blood draws…they just weren’t sure they could get it to ARUP in time / wouldn’t be prohibitively expensive to ship it. But that maybe the only option we have at this point.

Good to know about Any Lab Test Now. The closest one to me is 1 1/2 hrs away. Ugh.