• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with Nutreval test results?

Can anyone help me figure out if I can do anything to help my situation based on these results?

Attachments

• 1FA36BAF-1963-4239-B05D-B1A9D278E046.jpeg
    1FA36BAF-1963-4239-B05D-B1A9D278E046.jpeg
    854.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 7BE4621D-64B7-4E2C-8C1C-F474FCA78313.jpeg
    7BE4621D-64B7-4E2C-8C1C-F474FCA78313.jpeg
    697.1 KB · Views: 21
  • A6028999-AF5F-4507-B18F-B147FD4B87A7.jpeg
    A6028999-AF5F-4507-B18F-B147FD4B87A7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • D9CC83F2-2663-4091-896A-1BD468B4A437.jpeg
    D9CC83F2-2663-4091-896A-1BD468B4A437.jpeg
    741.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 3858CC06-E19B-42E1-B3E2-0992EDA90FE4.jpeg
    3858CC06-E19B-42E1-B3E2-0992EDA90FE4.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 79DA77E6-3F18-4084-8216-29994F2A6653.jpeg
    79DA77E6-3F18-4084-8216-29994F2A6653.jpeg
    494.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 00926CA7-A3B2-4D86-AB96-611F7AAB4301.jpeg
    00926CA7-A3B2-4D86-AB96-611F7AAB4301.jpeg
    575 KB · Views: 23

linusbert

i am no expert in this,
but cystathionin is through the roof, that could indicate a B6 deficiency.
also taurine could be more. and vitamin C.
and b1. and magnesium.

almost

Hi @Bobbi007 , welcome to the confusing world of NutrEval. Many here have had this test, including me, and there is definitely an art in interpreting it. I offer you some suggestions that you are free to take or leave.

My first suggestion is to be VERY careful with it. Don't just start supplementing the things that are low and avoiding things that are high. The body is a system, and a dam* smart one, trying to keep you alive. If something is out of range, 1) there is a reason, and 2) it is probably dancing with something else, likely a chain of something elses, and nothing changes in isolation. Example, from the last page it might be tempting to supplement copper a little. Don't, unless you do some more testing. This could really screw you up. Also, be wary of B6 for the same reason. Don't touch it unless you do a blood test with Quest Labs to find out exactly where you are. They test for both deficiency and toxicity. LabCorp only tests for deficiency, and it shows up in the respective lab ranges. You may be deficient, or it may turn out that you have plenty, but bio-unavailability is the issue. NutrEval gives some insights and places to look, but I don't recommend using it in isolation.

There are some interpretive guides I would suggest you go though on your own.
  1. NutrEval Support Guide
  2. Healthmatters.io -- For example, here is what they have to say on cystathionine
  3. @caledonia published a guide here on pheonixrising.
  4. NutrEval Interpretive Guide : this looks like a different version of the test, from the UK maybe, but it is a little less daunting than the first item I listed, and looks at things a little differently. I like it.
At the 50,000 foot level, my impressions are :
  • you seem to be doing pretty well amino acid wise.
  • Saturated fatty acids are all over -- you may be having trouble absorbing or processing certain fats, which isn't abnormal. Some digestive enzymes (lipase) can help with that.
  • I notice stearic acid is pretty high, and that is often a filler in supplements. Are you taking a lot of supps?
  • I don't see the page with glutathione on it, but the high cystathionine and suggested low glutathione suggests a block between the two.
  • You likely have an issue with yeast, with some Candidia exposure (the D-Arabinitol suggests it).
  • Some gut work to deal with dysbiosis also looks probable.

These are just my initial thoughts -- feel free to take them or leave them. The trick is to find the thread(s) to pull on. You will need to do a lot of work (study and testing) on your own, or find a really knowledgable practitioner to help you. They can be really hard to find.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Hi @Bobbi007 , welcome to the confusing world of NutrEval. Many here have had this test, including me, and there is definitely an art in interpreting it. I offer you some suggestions that you are free to take or leave.

My first suggestion is to be VERY careful with it. Don't just start supplementing the things that are low and avoiding things that are high. The body is a system, and a dam* smart one, trying to keep you alive. If something is out of range, 1) there is a reason, and 2) it is probably dancing with something else, likely a chain of something elses, and nothing changes in isolation. Example, from the last page it might be tempting to supplement copper a little. Don't, unless you do some more testing. This could really screw you up. Also, be wary of B6 for the same reason. Don't touch it unless you do a blood test with Quest Labs to find out exactly where you are. They test for both deficiency and toxicity. LabCorp only tests for deficiency, and it shows up in the respective lab ranges. You may be deficient, or it may turn out that you have plenty, but bio-unavailability is the issue. NutrEval gives some insights and places to look, but I don't recommend using it in isolation.

2. Healthmatters.io -- For example, here is what they have to say on cystathionine
  4. NutrEval Interpretive Guide : this looks like a different version of the test, from the UK maybe, but it is a little less daunting than the first item I listed, and looks at things a little differently. I like it.
  • Saturated fatty acids are all over -- you may be having trouble absorbing or processing certain fats, which isn't abnormal. Some digestive enzymes (lipase) can help with that.
  • I notice stearic acid is pretty high, and that is often a filler in supplements. Are you taking a lot of supps?
  • I don't see the page with glutathione on it, but the high cystathionine and suggested low glutathione suggests a block between the two.
  • You likely have an issue with yeast, with some Candidia exposure (the D-Arabinitol suggests it).

These are just my initial thoughts -- feel free to take them or leave them. The trick is to find the thread(s) to pull on. You will need to do a lot of work (study and testing) on your own, or find a really knowledgable practitioner to help you. They can be really hard to find.

Good luck to you.
Thank you so much for that. It IS so confusing! I’ve not been supplementing with anything. I just recently started up Smarty Pants prenatal as a way to get a little bit of everything while attempting to be more diverse with my diet. I was vegan /plant based for an awhile but then went low histamine from June to October to see if that would do anything. It was very restrictive and I hope that’s why my antioxidants are so low. But I was eating lots of rice, rice pasta, potatoes and oats so I’m really worried about the look of those b vitamins. Also under enormous amount of stress.

I definitely have an issue with nitric oxide. I get chest pain a lot but I think I get it when NO is high. Not low. I’m still teasing this out. I was out on Imdur (Isosorbide mononitrate) in 2020 for the chest pain and coronary vasospasm and well- it really messed me up 😞

I’m worried my body cannot absorb the antioxidants. High dose vit C made me feel worse I believe so I’ve backed off that. Do you know if a liposomal C is better than day camu berry powder?

What would cause a block with my glutathione? Is it wise to supplement with glutathione? I had all these big plans to saturate my body with food based antioxidants but now reading they can be pro-oxidant so it’s just all so confusing.

I can’t find a good ME/CFS literate doc to help me with this. I worry my functional doc doesn’t really get the intricacies of the ME/CFS piece 😞

Good luck to you.
Thank you so much for that. It IS so confusing! I’ve not been supplementing with anything. I just recently started up Smarty Pants prenatal as a way to get a little bit of everything while attempting to be more diverse with my diet. I was vegan /plant based for an awhile but then went low histamine from June to October to see if that would do anything. It was very restrictive and I hope that’s why my antioxidants are so low. But I was eating lots of rice, rice pasta, potatoes and oats so I’m really worried about the look of those b vitamins. Also under enormous amount of stress.

I definitely have an issue with nitric oxide. I get chest pain a lot but I think I get it when NO is high. Not low. I’m still teasing this out. I was out on Imdur (Isosorbide mononitrate) in 2020 for the chest pain and coronary vasospasm and well- it really messed me up 😞

I’m worried my body cannot absorb the antioxidants. High dose vit C made me feel worse I believe so I’ve backed off that. Do you know if a liposomal C is better than day camu berry powder?

What would cause a block with my glutathione? Is it wise to supplement with glutathione? I had all these big plans to saturate my body with food based antioxidants but now reading they can be pro-oxidant so it’s just all so confusing.

I can’t find a good ME/CFS literate doc to help me with this. I worry my functional doc doesn’t really get the intricacies of the ME/CFS piece 😞

How does one fix the issue of bio- unavailability? I fear this is my issue due to my coq10 being high despite not supplementing. I feel it’s just stuck circulating in the blood- unable to penetrate the cell 😞

I don’t even need a miracle- I just need to feel a little better than I do right now. Everything I’m reading is so contradictory. “Do this but be careful because it might make you worse!” “Definitely take antioxidants but beware they can turn into proxidants and increase oxidative stress” 😩

It’s maddening and devastating 😞

linusbert

i tolerate sodium ascorbate much better than ascorbic acid.
liposomal can maybe work.
but i also noticed that different vitamin c products can make a problem or not, so the problem can also be manfucaturing or any of the ingredients added which are not vitamin c.
you cannot compare liposmal c with plant extracts. just 2 different things.

you can try gold kiwi, this has 3-4x more vitamin C than a regular kiwi.

How does one fix the issue of bio- unavailability? I fear this is my issue due to my coq10 being high despite not supplementing. I feel it’s just stuck circulating in the blood- unable to penetrate the cell 😞
i believe if things go high its either due to a lack of something else required to use it. sometimes it can be due to body breaking down tissue, like when fasting or overexerting.
sometimes ATP itself is the cofactor.

I don’t even need a miracle- I just need to feel a little better than I do right now. Everything I’m reading is so contradictory. “Do this but be careful because it might make you worse!” “Definitely take antioxidants but beware they can turn into proxidants and increase oxidative stress” 😩

It’s maddening and devastating 😞
yes same. it could be that this whole mechanisms arent really understood and people just dont know what to say. all those theories sound so good and clever, but in the end they somehow seam not to work out for me.
its basically try and see what happens.
its really frustrating.

almost

Hi @Bobbi007 , you bring up some good points.

After looking at your report again, my real impression is that it is pretty good actually except for the energy production part. Your dysbiosis markers are elevated. You also seem to be starting the Krebs/Citric Acid cycle on a pretty low note, and when you start low, it is hard to have all the pieces needed to produce energy. I would interpret these two things as related. Your body is having a hard time extracting the building blocks it needs from your food, particularly fats and carbs, and so energy production suffers. If this is true, the fix is what I would suggest anyways, and that is to focus on improving gut function. That's an enormous topic on its own (and another place of major disagreements). Probiotics, whether through a supplement or fermented food may be in order. I make a homemade probiotic yogurt.

I understand the concern for b vitamins, but honestly I wouldn't sweat it right now. B12 is one many of us struggle with for methylation, but I don't see a obvious problem in your report. To start, I think focusing on having a wide selection of foods covers most vitamins and minerals. It sounds like you've cleaned up your diet from processed and junk food, and that is great.

I think the berry powder is fine for vitamin C. Liposomal is all the rage, but a whole food or whole food powder is better in my opinion.

Nitric Oxide can definitely be a problem. I think it is one of my main ones. Martin Pall has a whole theory on it for ME/CFS that I think is worthwhile. Here is another take.

Bio-availability is something that may resolve on its own as you address other more central things, like gut function.

There is nothing in this disease that is agreed upon, really, and there are many theories and given the diverse expression of it among individuals, it is no wonder there is a sea of what seems to be discordant information. No one can navigate that for you but you. Good practitioners are rare. Sites like this, however, are an oasis where we can help each other navigate.

The links in my previous post will help you understand your report a bit better. If you follow the cystathionine link, for example, you will find about six different reasons it can be elevated. Which one applies to you? That's what the task is. While you're figuring that out, though, you can start with the basics, which I think is gut function, and go from there.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited: