• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eye patch against dry damaged eyes?

linusbert

i mean it sounds a bit sneaky, but what about a eye patch to keep one eye from air draft for some hours for regeneration and then switch to the other?

last year i had the idea to have closed off glases , but they dont work for me either because they are made out of rubber and silicone which i react to.

eye drops not working for me anymore, there was only one vendor in german market which had minimal ingredients, no phosphat , no conservation stuff and now they changed bottle to smell pretty chemical disgusting... not putting that anymore into my eyes... also eye drops never really worked out anyways.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I use sterilized nebulizer saline (like this ONE) and store the opened tube in a clean prescription bottle with the lid on. Then it's good idea to toss the tube after a few day's uses and get a new one since it has no preservatives.
Normal "tears" eye drops actually dry my eyes out more. (Oddly enough in the same way sensitive toothpastes make my teeth more sensitive. :meh: Maybe they get more sales that way.)

Anyway, I read the comments on that one and some eye doctors actually recommend those drops for hard contact lens wearers so figured it be okay to put them into my eyes. They feel great, the best thing I've ever tried.

Then I also look for eyedrops with hyluronic acid in them. The hyluronic is actually supposed to help heal the eyes. I've used this ONE but I also THESE previously. (They also have different versions of the hyla- ones.)

Lastly, my eye doctor wanted me to put a warm damp cloth over my eyes for 20 minutes several times (iirc) a day. I'm not good at it (discipline) but when I was doing that it really helped because it softens the glands and gets the natural eye lubrication flowing again. I have Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD), where the meibomian glands in the eyelids become blocked, leading to decreased lipid secretion and alterations in the tear film composition. (description from Perplexity.ai)

I would wet a clean wash cloth, wring it out, lay it on a clean plate and microwave it to sterilize it. Then I would cool it enough so it's safe to the touch, esp for the delicate eye area, lay on my bed and drape it over my eyes, gently pressing it to rest up against my eye lids. I don't hold it there or I get spots that won't disappear for a while later on. I just want to make sure it's touching the lash area well. The rag will get cold but that's okay. It still helps esp when I did it consistently.

Edit: For the hyluronic drops each kind has it's own challenges for bottle design, meaning they are sometimes difficult to dispense but I think that's because they are preservative free so they had to find a way to keep the bacteria, etc out.

Last edited:

linusbert

thats interesting with the nebulizer saline. how much % salt, 0,9% is best?

Oddly enough in the same way sensitive toothpastes make my teeth more sensitive.
honest product marketing, sensitive toothpaste makes your teeth sensitive! makes sense actually.

damp cloth sounds interesting, now i need to find a damp cloth which doesnt contain any detergents or other things.

Judee

how much % salt, 0,9% is best?
IDK but it feels good. Also like I said hard contact lens wearers use it in their hard contacts. I gave some to the lawn guy. He's badly allergic to grass pollen. He used it right away and said it felt great.

now i need to find a damp cloth which doesnt contain any detergents or other things.
Now that's a problem. I know you've had that before too.

Have you ever thought of getting one of those portable wash machines, like some of THESE? They don't dry the clothes but they do wash and spin them. HERE's a single compartment one. And then a double compartment one HERE (video with annoying music.) I'm guessing you wash and rinse in that first compartment on that second unit.

Edit: This lady upgraded to a machine that doesn't have to be attended. Her links also show a portable dryer.
:)

Of course, don't buy anything until you do a bunch of research on it. I would also probably stick with well known brands.

Last edited:

linusbert

Have you ever thought of getting one of those portable wash machines, like some of THESE? They don't dry the clothes but they do wash and spin them. HERE's a single compartment one. And then a double compartment one HERE (video with annoying music.) I'm guessing you wash and rinse in that first compartment on that second unit.
i got all of them, the small bucket... the bigger full auotmatic , the dual tubs i didnt, but its the same like the 2 before.

so what happend to the small bucket,
it smelled after hot gum really terrible, but i could do a few laundrys with natron. the first laundry was great, i tollerated that washed clothes good, i just had to do it like 5x10 minutes as they spin only for 10 minutes, also need to change water after every cycle.
it was really exhaustive, and in the end the cloth started to smell.. despite me doing cleaning the machine with vinegar and natron... also the machine did burn through probably because i used hot water but the machine only tolerates up to 40C 104F.
the smell of hot gum irritated my breathing organs, wasnt nice.
also when it burnt it was so bad a smell, the whole part of my nursing home smelled after it for almost 2 days.

the big automatic i got (costway) i didnt use yet, it only is in the bathroom, and it smells even more terrible of gum. its irritating i didnt dare to use it yet as it smells even more when i open the lid.
also i cannot connect it to the water tub, so its semi automatic, i got to put in water with a shower.

also i got no place to dry my clothes, in my room i obviously can't do it because it irritates my breathing and outside my room i am not allowed. you cannot believe it, but a nursing home over 4 stories with 150 rooms has NO WHERE 1sqm where i can put and hang my cloth to dry.

Judee

Oh, no that sounds awful. I'm sorry. I forgot about the machine smells.

That would be so hard not to have somewhere to wash (and then dry) clothing.

That's the reason I was looking at those, in case I have to move and a fragrance free machine is no longer available. :(

linusbert

if you can put the bucket somewhere outside like a balkony that shouldnt be a problem.
the real problem i think is that you cannot use hot water like anything above 40c 104f and that means that the machine will eventually become pretty dirty and disgusting and maybe even unhealthy. maybe if you work with pretty aggressive detergents it can work.. but we are not to use those and vinegar or natron didnt fix it for me.
even oxygen bleach needs at least 60c or more to fully do its magic.