• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Effectiveness against CMV

Blazer95

..and we built castles in the Sky.
I have had a high positive LTT for CMV. This does mean that my Lymphocytes react very sensitive to CMV. It does not mean 100% for sure its active or something. Its kind of like seeing IgG and IgM titers. Just means there was a reaction at some point.

However since LTT for CMV is way higher than f.e. my Herpes and EBV values, even my primary stated there is a theory that CFS comes from persisting viral infection.

Today i searched the internet for antiviral agents against CMV and most of them are pretty harsh. I have found Valaciclovir wich may be a bit milder but they say its only effective in preventing CMV.

Valganciclovir sounds very very harsh and I dont want to f*ck it up even more, so I am searching for one of the "milder" Antivirals, that actually are able to hit CMV.

Thanks and have a crash free day! :)

Learner1

Today i searched the internet for antiviral agents against CMV and most of them are pretty harsh. I have found Valaciclovir wich may be a bit milder but they say its only effective in preventing CMV.

Valganciclovir sounds very very harsh and I dont want to f*ck it up even more, so I am searching for one of the "milder" Antivirals, that actually are able to hit CMV.
I've been on valganciclovir, mostly at 1.8g per day, sometimes at 900mg per day, for most of the past 6 years, with no side effects or problems. I have had regular CBC and CMP tests to check liver and kidney function, which are fins and no difference between being on or off valganciclovir.

zzz

I have to concur with @Learner1 here. I have been on valganciclovir for about 12 out of the last 22 years, at a standard dose of 900 mg per day for most of that time. My blood tests have always been fine at that dose, and there was only one point when I had any side effects at all. I found that temporarily reducing my dose to 14 mg per day (1/32nd of a tablet) and gradually titrating upwards eliminated my sensitivity to the drug, and I have been back on the standard 900 mg/day dose for a number of years now. If I stop the drug, I quickly start feeling worse and start running elevated temperatures.

In summary, the reaction to valganciclovir depends on a lot on the person, as well as where they are in their illness. There is some tantalizing evidence that I have ongoing, low-level EBV and herpes zoster infections, both of which valganciclovir addresses. I have no evidence of a CMV infection. I have recently added Famvir to my mix, and this seems to have definitely helped my overall health. I have no more reaction to these two drugs than I do to Tylenol. This is unusual for me; usually I am very sensitive to drugs.

Once again, one of the biggest takeaways I have from my experience is that reactions to and benefits from these drugs vary a whole lot by person. This also means that large studies are less useful as a result. If you follow the protocols strictly, you minimize the chance of any negative results, and then you can judge for yourself if the benefits of a drug such as valganciclovir are worth whatever reactions you may have to it. It is very possible that like me and many others, you may have no negative side effects at all.