• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Collagen Modulators

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is doing as well as could be.

I'm researching collagen modulators I.e. preventing collagen destruction, promoting collagen synthesis and strength.

So far I've only seen this mepedia and some posts on the forums:
https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Collagen

I'm looking for further information related to these modulators, firstly it doesn't say what dosage to take for e.g. vitamin C, D, magnesium etc

Secondly, is there any more information I can get anywhere else?

Thanks for your help guys, greatly appreciated.

Hip

Collagen and elastin, two important components of connective tissue, are often broken down by MMP enzymes in disease states. Some MMP inhibitors in this thread.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've looked through that thread and really wanted to try both Aloe Vera and Neem.

However, after searching online I'm really confused what the best dose of Aloe Vera to take is?
In my local health store, this is what is available:
https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...h-strength-aloe-vera-20000mg-tablets-60005893

Also in regards to Neem, what's the best way to prepare it to get the best benefits? Raw or ? There is alot of conflicting information online

marcjf

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've looked through that thread and really wanted to try both Aloe Vera and Neem.

However, after searching online I'm really confused what the best dose of Aloe Vera to take is?
In my local health store, this is what is available:
https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...h-strength-aloe-vera-20000mg-tablets-60005893

Also in regards to Neem, what's the best way to prepare it to get the best benefits? Raw or ? There is alot of conflicting information online

Not a recommendation, but you might want to look into the Cusack protocol. They recommend George's Aloe Vera:
By the way, the first ME-Pedia link is missing one important thing called "silica". Nothing happens without it. In the Cusack protocol they source it from diatomaceous earth, which not everyone might be comfortable taking. There is also orthosilicic acid, or you can just eat a lot of green beans too, I guess.

Last edited:
Hi Marc, Thanks for the reply.

I've looked around and I can't find Georges Aloe Vera in the UK (United Kingdom), can you please recommend an alternative if possible?

In regards to Silica, I can't find a MePedia on it, can you please elaborate, and I'm confused on what you meant "nothing happens without it", are you saying all those collagen modulators listers are useless without "silica"?

GreenEdge

I'm researching collagen modulators I.e. preventing collagen destruction, promoting collagen synthesis and strength.
What you want to take for younger looking skin is called Hyaluronic Acid. It's in many so called anti-aging skin creams but I doubt it will get to where it's needed using that delivery technique. Best to take it as a supplement along with vitamin B3 Niacin.

I'm looking for further information related to these modulators, firstly it doesn't say what dosage to take for e.g. vitamin C, D, magnesium etc
I had the best skin when I was regularly consuming bacon, so for nutrients I recommend bacon and eggs for breakfast (and exclude all sugars) - so no fruit, tea, coffee, orange juice or any other sweetened drinks for breakfast.

Bacon and eggs is a healthy way to start your day that will keep you satiated until dinner. We don't want to start our day with a blood sugar and insulin spike. The food industries introduction of breakfast serials ensured that you will eat all day. It's good for their profits. Excluding sugar ensures that you won't become hungry during the day, over eat and gain weight.

Plus this one supplement: Vitamin B3 Niacin (the flush type) - it's more effective than the non-flush slow release version called niacinamide. The flush is caused by dilating blood vessels in the skin - this will help deliver nutrients (including hyaluronic acid).

Niacin also helps clear brain fog and it promotes new blood vessel growth as well as hair, skins, nails, etc. and it's anti-cancer as well.

Secondly, is there any more information I can get anywhere else?

marcjf

Hi Marc, Thanks for the reply.

I've looked around and I can't find Georges Aloe Vera in the UK (United Kingdom), can you please recommend an alternative if possible?

In regards to Silica, I can't find a MePedia on it, can you please elaborate, and I'm confused on what you meant "nothing happens without it", are you saying all those collagen modulators listers are useless without "silica"?

I do not know about that, but you will probably find an answer to that in the Cusack protocol group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/edsandaloe/
I am pretty sure they will have members from the UK there. And the group is all about collagen boosting.
Sorry, maybe I oversimplified the silica comment. In general, it is important that you address mineral deficiencies to actually start synthesizing collagen. Minerals such as copper, selenium and zinc are widely talked about, but sometimes I feel silica gets forgotten. But without silica, you won't absorb some of these other minerals needed. Biosil, for example, is a supplement that is basically just bioavailable silica (ch-OSA), and people take specifically for collagen synthesis.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
What you want to take for younger looking skin is called Hyaluronic Acid. It's in many so called anti-aging skin creams but I doubt it will get to where it's needed using that delivery technique. Best to take it as a supplement
I used to have my Mom take that until I read it can feed pancreatic cancer cells too. That made me worry that it could do that for other cancers as well: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/01/220127120154.htm

My brain won't let me read this study on breast cancer so I don't know if it's saying the same thing: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27758869/
(Maybe someone else can understand it.)

Last edited:

GreenEdge

@Judee, good nutrition (by definition can't cause cancer), but can speed cancer growth.
It's a natural thing our bodies produce. The average 70 kg (150 lb) person has roughly 15 grams of hyaluronic acid in the body, one third of which is turned over (i.e., degraded and synthesized) per day.[6]

Do you cook with vegetable oils or eat fast food?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28925728/ said:
Impact of consumption of repeatedly heated cooking oils on the incidence of various cancers...
Abstract

Repeated heating of vegetable oils at high temperatures during cooking is a very common cooking practice. Repeatedly heated cooking oils (RCO) can generate varieties of compounds, including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), some of which have been reported as carcinogenic. RCO is one of the commonly consumed cooking and frying medium. These RCO consumption and inhalation of cooking fumes can pose a serious health hazard. Taking into account exploratory study, the present review aims to provide the consumption of RCO and its fumes cause the high incidence of genotoxic, mutagenic, tumorogenic and various cancers. The information on RCO and its fumes were collected through a library database and electronic search (ScienceDirect, PubMed, and Google Scholar). Remarkable studies demonstrated that the health adverse effects of RCO and its cooking fumes have been often attributed to their detrimental properties and ease to genotoxic, mutagenic and carcinogenic activities. RCO and its cooking fumes were found to enhance the incidence of aberrant cells, including breaks, fragments, exchanges and multiple chromosomal damages and micronuclei in a dose-dependent manner. Furthermore, the large consumption of RCO has been associated with a number of malignancies, including lung, colorectal, breast, and prostate cancers. The present review provides additional insights into the polluting features of PAHs produced various cancers via cooking activities in indoor environments.
Keywords: Repeatedly heated vegetable oils; cancers; carcinogenicity; genotoxicity; mutagenicity; polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

Wishful

"Remarkable studies demonstrated that the health adverse effects of RCO"

I'd rather read scientifically valid studies than ones that are simply "remarkable". I'm sure there are "remarkable" studies about magic crystals too.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Do you cook with vegetable oils or eat fast food?
I hardly ever can cook...never used a lot of vegetable oils to do so when I could. Nor have I eaten restaurant foods in decades. My diet is very plain and simplistic.

Many people with ME are forced into very plain restrictive diets.

Last edited: