• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

C. Diff. + H. Pylori infection

Thinktank

Recently i started to have a bout of what at first felt like gastritis, so i took a PPI for a few days without any relief. The stomach pain became worse and the inflammation developed into an ulcer, the PPI did nothing except for exacerbating the dysbiosis which led to a C. diff. explosion. So now i have a suspected H. Pylori infection and confirmed C. diff infection, nice!
I can't hold anything down because of the pain so i'm dropping weight very rapidly.
I found out that the hospital i was a patient at now does faecal transplant therapy for C. diff patients, they get the stool from some kind of donorbank.
Has anyone here had a faecal transplant done to cure a c. diff infection, and to repopulate the gut with a healthy microbiome from a donor?
I would love to hear your experiences.

katabasis

About 2 years ago, I had a series of severe C. Diff infections. During the last one, I was in the hospital for 3 weeks, and even vancomycin was not really working to reduce my symptoms (which was a big problem because I was basically incapable of eating). I asked the attending doctors about FMT and they were sort of dismissive. I managed to find a doctor doing a white label clinical trial for FMT at a nearby hospital, got myself discharged, and got the treatment.

The vast majority of my symptoms (severe diarrhea, severe abdominal pain, severe nausea) were gone within 24 hours. It took a while for me to get over the near-starvation and for the inflammation to fully subside, but FMT was essentially a complete cure. Since then I haven't had even a single recurrence, even after I had to take antibiotics to deal with an infected tooth. It seems like this is a pretty common story to hear for people who get FMTs to treat C. Diff - by every indication it is a very effective treatment.

There are some risks to getting an FMT. It is basically impossible to get a truly high-quality stool donor. I got to see the exclusion criteria used for donors for the clinical trial I was part of, and I felt they were a bit lacking. Occasionally people getting FMTs acquire random immune or inflammatory conditions from the donor. It doesn't seem to occur that often, and I think for most people with C. Diff, the benefits outweigh the risk.