• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bromelain+NAC are really helpful to me

ilivewithcfs

Hi!
I recently found some very helpful supplements, so I decided to share the info here. It's NAC and bromelain.

Several weeks ago I was going through long covid treatment protocol and came across the statement, that bromelain cleaves the spike protein in vitro, and NAC enhances that effect. I also came across this study. My ME/CFS is very likely to be viral in nature, so I decided to give this a shot.

I took 600 mg of NAC and 1000 mg of bromelain(1200 GDU/r) twice daily on an empty stomach. On the fifth day I started to notice progress, I had more energy, less brainfog, less joint pain and just felt better overall. On the 12th day of treatment I developed insomnia and had to give it up (my brain is weird like that, I get insomnia from 80% of the drugs and supplements I try).

Despite the fact, that I had to finish treatment early, some of the benefits stuck with me even after I had stopped taking the supplements. I'm really glad, that I gave it a shot.

To avoid side effects, it's really important to start low and go slow. Keep that in mind. I didn't do that, because I'm an impatient idiot.

Now I am on a break from bromelain and NAC. While I am on a break, I plan to try cistus incanus. If cistus doesn't help, I'm going to return to bromelain and NAC, but I will start low and go slow this time.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@ilivewithcfs - thank you for posting this! I'm so glad the bromelain and NAC are helpful for you with LC symptoms. I've taken NAC for years, because it's a precursor to glutathione and I'm sure does other things, but have never felt any different while taking it. But I never combined it with bromelain or any other enzyme. I don't have LC, "just" ME/CFS though likely viral in origin. So I'll give this a try -

Also, the link in the following line doesn't work -
I also came across this study.

Lots of things - especially things that make me feel better - give me insomnia - it's a curse! Yeah, start low and go slow is my motto too -

One last thing - you might add something to your title about helping with LC symptoms - I think the thread might get more attention that way. If you'd like help doing this, let me know -

ilivewithcfs

I've taken NAC for years, because it's a precursor to glutathione and I'm sure does other things, but have never felt any different while taking it. But I never combined it with bromelain or any other enzyme.
I tried NAC on its own, and it didn't do anything. But with bromelain it worked very well.
I also don't have long covid, my CFS had started long before covid was a thing. I read long covid treatment protocols, because long covid has a lot in common with regular ME/CFS.
I fixed the link, thanks for pointing it out.
Hope it works out for you!

May I ask if you do not mind? did you try them with a sleeping aid natural or otherwise at a slow dose? I do not want to interfere but a small dose antihistamine or melatonin or natural alternatives like valerian lavender ashwaganda magnesium etc would be the solution or helpful.
melatonin is also used to treat covid.
sorry if I interfere each of us are different but why to lose some gathered improvement that is hardly earned. finding sth works for you is challenging.
if you have long covid may be this one is useful for you. hope you could gain improvements again. and not a doctor but also a sufferer of vaccine related issues. just suggestions might be risky consult an md or on your own risk.
https://covid19criticalcare.com/treatment-protocols/

ilivewithcfs

did you try them with a sleeping aid natural or otherwise at a slow dose? I do not want to interfere but a small dose antihistamine or melatonin or natural alternatives like valerian lavender ashwaganda magnesium etc would be the solution or helpful.
melatonin is also used to treat covid.
Yeah, I tried different sleeping aids. I take clozapine for sleeping, I am also on a sedating SSRI. I also tried to add melatonin, antihistamines and natural sleeping aids, but nothing works. Most of helpful drugs/supplements give me unmanageable insomnia and I don't know why.

Yeah, I tried different sleeping aids. I take clozapine for sleeping, I am also on a sedating SSRI. I also tried to add melatonin, antihistamines and natural sleeping aids, but nothing works. Most of helpful drugs/supplements give me unmanageable insomnia and I don't know why.
Well it is sad then. which ssri I wonder? I am on another drug gabapentin help with sleeping too.
it is strange I only encountered insomnia type effect with steroids and ldn

JES

Bromelain has anti-inflammatory effects and also anticoagulant effects, which is interesting with regards to the microclot theories around long COVID and ME/CFS.

When I first took bromelain I noticed a large improvement in brain fog and I could feel the blood flow improve in my hands and legs, which was certainly very curious. Unfortunately the positive effects regressed within a week as well.

This tends to happen for me when I try something that reduces inflammation. I get a temporary boost, but because the underlying issue causing the immune dysfunction isn't resolved, anti-inflammatory supplements won't do much for me in the long term.

ilivewithcfs

When I first took bromelain I noticed a large improvement in brain fog and I could feel the blood flow improve in my hands and legs, which was certainly very curious. Unfortunately the positive effects regressed within a week as well.
Sorry to hear, that bromelain didn't work for you.
Bromelain+NAC are not just anti-inflammatory though, they are also antiviral at least in vitro. This is why I decided to try them. Antivirals tend to help me. My main problem is inability to tolerate antivirals long enough to recover completely.

Faith2007

I took 600 mg of NAC and 1000 mg of bromelain(1200 GDU/r) twice daily on an empty stomach.
I didn't realize I was supposed to be taking NAC on an empty stomach, so thanks. I've been taking 1590 mg NAC daily with a meal. I went up to 3090 mg NAC daily right after COVID-19 again, as it's part of the antiviral supplement I take from Holtraceuticals called Virunex, but have gone back down again.

I take 2000 mg Bromelain daily along with 200 mg Nattokinase on an empty stomach 40 minutes before breakfast, which is part of a supplement called Fibrinex I take to help with my coagulation dysfunction. I'm not allowed to fly due to risk of blood clots at high elevation. The coagulation dysfunction can be tested for with a thrombotic marker panel.

I was off of the Bromelain and Nattokinase for a half of last year since I didn't know why I was taking it and was cost cutting. But after talking to my CFS doctor and starting it again, I don't remember a noticeable difference in my CFS symptoms, though it made my thrombotic marker panel test look better. However, coagulation dysfunction can interfere with the amount of nutrients and oxygen that is getting to the body. It is a bad idea for me to be off of Fibrinex.

It looks like the only thing I will need to add in for the spike detoxification protocol if I wish to try it will be curcumin.

I had CFIDS, begun by a virus and/or a three course treatment with different antibiotics long before getting COVID-19 twice made it even worse.

Please keep us updated with the cistus incanus. Best wishes to you.