• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are soundbars or speakers generally safe for sensitive people?

linusbert

i am thinking about getting new speakers. a soundbar or just classic stereo speakers.
they do some magics with those soundbars emulating surround sound with just the little thingy.

i once had a active noise canceling headset, that gave me nausea and dizziness for almost 2 days after using it for less than one hour. i read of people getting symptoms from some tv speakers. dont know whats safe anymore.

my question now is, are those soundbars safe for sensible folks or better get some old speakers without much digital sound trickery?

why would i need speakers? i am not doing much loud musics these days but i like to emerse my self into virtual ambients like soft ambient music and sounds of nature. and i like to feel really in the middle of it.
and sometimes i watch a movie or so.

hapl808

I would guess soundbars and speakers are fine. I can't listen to noise cancelling headsets - but it's because of the noise cancelling part. That 'pressure feeling' affects me very quickly. I can listen to noise isolating headsets, or speakers. I don't think they affect me negatively - they're basically the same technology as the speakers in your computer or TV anyways AFAIK.

BrightCandle

I find speakers a lot less fatiguing than headphones. The sound cancelling ones can be especially problematic but also a life saver as well when there is a bad noise.

I can use good headphones, but not too long. I would go for good quality stereo speakers with a separate amplifier if you don't mind the extra buttons. The sound is often warmer than that of a soundbar and requires less effort to listen to.