• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advanced More Effective Nasal Irrigation (Jala Neti) Technique

Hipsman

I've recently had a nasal staph infection, which responded very well to swabs of Mupirocin ointment applied in my nose and sinus irrigation rinses that include a compounded Tobramycin, in addition to my usual Xlear packet.
Interesting, but from what I understand you had acute infection, not a chronic one, it's harder to treat chronic stuff. Like for example I tried bacteriophages nose irrigation, that didn't help at all even thou staphylococcus aureus and other bacteria found in my nose were sensetive to these bacteriophages.

Cipher

Administrator
Thanks for the suggestion, I already tried the russian staph vaccine and the Markov's staph vaccine, both did nothing, unfortunately, after the vaccine courses staphylococcus aureus was still caltured in my nasal swabs.
Mucosal vaccines might work better than injection vaccines in this context since they generally speaking are more reliable in inducing mucosal immunity (IgA antibodies). IgA is secreted from mucose membranes and help fight pathogens that colonize these mucose membranes.

@Cipher but it's interesting there are more vaccines, they are in tablets it seems, I wonder if I could use them Intranasally
One thing to keep in mind with vaccines is that the dose is very important; too low and you risk inducing tolerance, and too high and you risk getting excessive inflammation. Repurposing oral tablets for nasal use might be tricky.

Fortunately, according to animal studies sublingual administration induces a broad mucosal immune response, so nasal administration might not be needed.

There are some nasal vaccines in the spreadsheet also. For example IRS-19 and Immunovac-VP-4 are two Russian nasal vaccines that contain both Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pneumoniae, among others.

Last edited:

Hipsman

So I tried my advanced nasal irrigation technique with 0.23% povidone-iodine in saline solution. I used about 25mL total and held my head upsidedown for 5 minutes.

This felt like a nuclear bomb, right after I finished the procedure I got a mild headache for almost 3 hours, and also spit a bit of blood with my post-nasal drip once. My sense of smell significantly worsened too, thou I feel it's slowly getting a bit better now.
Okay so it's been around 5 days since I did my advanced nasal irrigation with povidon iodine, I have fully recovered from that, but now I feel like my sense of smell is noticably better then it was before I did this procedure! I had a fairly weak sense of smell as long as I can remember, but now I feel like my sense of smell is about average. I can't quanitfy this in any precise way, but I believe so.

No noticable improvement on my post-nasal drip thou. I'm thinking of doing this procedure again, but with a lower concentration of povidone-iodine, maybe 0.06% instead of 0.23%.

Found an interesting paper, but it's really hard to research anything with my brain fog, here are the interesting bits that you can find in full paper on sci-hub.se
Various bacterial strains were tested, and in 2, Staphylococcus aureus and Mycobacterium chelonei, the killing time varied significantly with different dilutions of PI. In these isolates, a 1:100 dilution (0.1%) produced the fastest killing time. This is due to an increase in free iodine in dilute PI solution]

Concentrations less than 0.05% lose their PI complex characteristics and behave like aqueous iodine
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.survophthal.2018.05.002

Hipsman

Tried the advanced nasal irrigation with ~0.0617% povidon iodine yesterday, no side-effects at all, still have good sense of smell. Will try ~0.0694% in few days, chat gpt calculated that if I add 70ml of water to 0.5ml of 10% povidone-iodine, then I get 0.0694% povidone-iodine solution.

Atlas

"And the last enemy to be destroyed is death."
chat gpt calculated that if I add 70ml of water to 0.5ml of 10% povidone-iodine, then I get 0.0694% povidone-iodine solution.

If you're using gpt 3 it is notoriously bad at maths.

The correct answer should be 0.0709%,
(0.5 * 0.1 / 70.5).

Weirdly I asked gpt 3 your question and it did get the correct answer... Might have been a different wording I guess

Last edited: