• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why are so few disabled candidates standing for parliament? (UK)

mermaid

Just noticed this article in the Guardian today (UK) which includes a woman with ME who is standing for Parliament. Makes me feel weak at the knees at the thought. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/24/few-disabled-candidates-parliament-mps

'Griffiths Clarke has ME, which is exacerbated by commuting from London, where she works as a director of a community law centre. Traditional methods of campaigning – such as door-to-door canvassing – can be exhausting, she says. She is also dyslexic, which means she needs support with the vast written communication for the campaign.'

'Back in Wales, while the campaign is in full swing the lack of state support is taking its toll on Griffiths Clarke’s health. She recently had a seizure while campaigning but with no medically trained personal assistant to help her, she didn’t feel able to disclose it to anyone afterwards.'