• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L-Methylfolate dosage

arx

Hi,
I see on various threads that people are taking 800 mcg of L-Methylfolate everyday,with B-12 sublinguals. I am from India and here I can just find Deplin(7.5mg) which is available. Is it safe to take 7.5mg of L-Methylfolate everyday?

adreno

PR activist
The are no long term studies of Deplin, but the short term studies have found no safety issues.

arx

Ok.Thanks,adreno.

Also, what percentage of folic acid is converted to l-methylfolate?
I understand that it differs from person to person,but just a rough estimate will be enough.

Freddd

Hi,
I see on various threads that people are taking 800 mcg of L-Methylfolate everyday,with B-12 sublinguals. I am from India and here I can just find Deplin(7.5mg) which is available. Is it safe to take 7.5mg of L-Methylfolate everyday?

I understand that it differs from person to person,but just a rough estimate will be enough.

It's not a percentage, it's an amount with biological limits. Consider the transformation only somewhere between 0 and 800mcg daily get converted to methylfoalte. However, 800mcg of folic acid can BLOCK 8000mcg of methylfolate

I am from India and here I can just find Deplin(7.5mg) which is available. Is it safe to take 7.5mg of L-Methylfolate everyday?

Yes, it is a fine amount. I would however, break it up into smaller doses so you can titrate up to what you need and hopefully save yourself some money. You may or may not need that much, but it is safe. The qualifying study listed it's side effects as "Metafolin is generally well tolerated and has side effects similar to placebo"

arx

Thanks,Freddd.

I found a B-complex without folic acid, and I'm taking that now. However, the adb12 which I am taking has 200 mcg of folic acid.

800mcg of folic acid can BLOCK 8000mcg of methylfolate

This means I should not take folic acid at all?

Thanks.

daniariete2000

HI all .

just one question on dosage of L-Methylfolate .
Why so big difference between dose of Rich protocol (200 mmcg/day) and Fredd protocol (800 mcg/day) ?

Thanks

Daniele

Lotus97

HI all .

just one question on dosage of L-Methylfolate .
Why so big difference between dose of Rich protocol (200 mmcg/day) and Fredd protocol (800 mcg/day) ?

Thanks

Daniele
Metafolin methylfolate is only allowed to be sold in dosages of 800 mcg or less (or maybe 1000 mcg?) which is why he has it listed as only 800 mcg since that's the largest available, but Freddd actually recommends much higher dosages than 800 mcg. In Freddd's most recent protocol revision (as far as I know) he lists methylfolate dosage from 800-16,000 mcg. (that's not a typo it's up to 16 thousand mcg)
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...tocol-with-micro-titration.17818/#post-273588

You'll have to ask Freddd why he recommends such a high dosage.

Rich actually recommends starting with 200 mcg of methylfolate and 200 mcg of folinic acid so there's a total of 400 mcg folate. This is why he recommends folinic acid in addition to methylfolate:
This is a buffer form of folate that most people can readily convert to other active forms of folate. Its role in the protocol is to supply these other forms while the methionine synthase reaction has still not come up to normal. This is particularly important for making new DNA and RNA for replacing cells.

Rich is basing the starting dosages of methylfolate and B12 on the results of this methylation study with Dr. Neil Nathan's CFS/ME and fibromyalgia patients:
http://www.mecfs-vic.org.au/sites/w...Article-2009VanKonynenburg-TrtMethylStudy.pdf

In Rich's most recent protocol he recommends switching to methylcobalamin (and possibly also increasing methylfolate dosage) if one doesn't improve on the starting dosages.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ation-protocol-august-25-2012-revision.19050/
I had also considered changing the form of B12 to methylcobalamin. Some PWMEs do need to use this form, particularly if their glutathione and/or S-adenosylmethionine are very low. However, use of hydroxocobalamin is a “gentler” approach to lifting the partial methylation cycle block, and many PWMEs need such an approach. Use of hydroxocobalamin also keeps the cells in control of the rate of the methylation cycle, preventing it from being overdriven, which slows the rise of glutathione. So I have decided to stay with hydroxocobalamin as the first form of B12 to try. For people who do not get a response from the SMP within a couple of months, switching to methylcobalamin would be an option to try. Another option would be to try adding some adenosylcobalamin (dibencozide). However, I do not favor raising the overall dosage of B12 very much above 2,000 micrograms per day, and especially not when it is combined with dosages of methyfolate that are much above the RDA range of 400 to 800 micrograms per day. This combination can overdrive the methylation cycle and hinder the rise of glutathione.

Best regards,

Rich

Lotus97

When high dosages of methylfolate are taken with high doses of B12 it can cause hypokalemia (low potassium). While Freddd and others say this is "manageable" and "safe" with adequate potassium supplementation (up to several thousand miligrams) it's is important to remind people that hypokalemia is a potentially life-threatening condition. That's fine if several hundred (or thousand) of us on the internet want to take these risks, but good luck getting many doctors to sign on to a treatment where hypokalemia is "a sign of healing". There are possibly tens of millions of people with CFS/ME and similar chronic illnesses around the world who aren't going to hear about methylation unless it's something accepted as a more mainstream treatment. Even so-called alternative practitioners are going to be wary of a treatment that seems risky.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I agree with Lotus. I have often wondered about the people who just stop conversing on this board...what I wonder is if they died from electrolyte issues.

I am looking for some info about hpw to prevent the electrolyte issues the active methylation protocol causes. Since starting this protocol I get an arrythmia every night when I lie down. I used to get this maybe once a year when on an inactive B protocol. I believe the arrythmia can cause blood clots which is a serious concern. I take an unmeasured amount (eyeball 1ts.) of potassium gluconate per day (ecept when I skip it because it is a powder so not easy to pop like a pill. I also find that taking so many pills / day makes me schleppy about pills ... I am finding myself putting off taking them, missing and skipping them, like I never did in my life before. (I started becoming unreliable when my doc prescribed 2 MORE PILLS and the sum total made me puke and had upset stomach most of the day). If I am unrelaible about pills, guess what about powder?? It is worse. SO I am getting arrythmias and anyway I never found that taking potassium stopped them. I am wondering if I should stop taking the Metafolin substance I am taking?

The thing is, I know I cannot mainatin a normal homocysteine taking only 2 Thorne Basic B/day. I have established I do not need the mB12 sublingual and stopped that years ago. I was actually guessing I could not do w/o extra metafolin, but now I wonder if someone besides Solgar makes a smaller dose of Metafolin? I do not want to worry about electrolytes. This may not be fixable in me because I get low blood sugar attacks (well this is fixed by DHEA but whenever I have an infection it uses up DHEA and then I get low blood sugar attacks again). Low blood sugar has been proven to use up as much potassium as takes 6 (SIX!) bananas to replace it.

Any thoughts or info on avoiding rather than treating electrolyte problems??? Thanks