• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there an effective, natural treatment for SIBO ?

Mary

Moderator Resource
SIBO has been linked to low stomach acid as stomach acid helps keep proper bacterial balance in the gut. A simple test to see if you are low in stomach acid is to dissolve 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in 8 ounces of water and drink on an empty stomach. If you don't burp within a few minutes, it can be an indication of low stomach acid. The empty stomach part is important as baking soda will neutralize stomach acid.

My doctor told me to take betaine HCL with pepsin (pepsin is important for digesting protein) and to titrate up until I feel "acidy", taking it before meals - and I did feel acidy (sounds strange but I knew it when I felt it) after 3 or 4 pills, and then to back off by one. I now take 3 betaine HCL with pepsin caps before a full meal, but if I'm just having a salad or fruit, I don't bother. It's especially important with meals with protein and fats, which can be hard to digest.

I've been taking Swanson's product, Now Foods makes a good one too, there are several out there.