• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 and Insomnia

NilaJones

Thank you, folks! @Violeta , @Star-Anise , @ahmo . I am so grateful.

I get easily overwhelmed on this forum, which is why I tend to disappear for weeks or months and then pop back in. I imagine y'all can relate :). I am feeling overwhelmed now, by trying to hang on.

I realise I have been eating an egg or two per day for a while. This happened with meat, too -- I increased it without noticing. So maybe I AM increasing my B12 intake, just gently and unconsciously. That makes me feel a bit less like a failure, y'know?

I did get sicker when I was first trying B12, but that's because I was trying larger amounts. I would take one dose, my body would freak out, then when I was recovered a month or two later I would try again with a smaller dose. This was before I heard of low and slow :). Eventually I got down to the dose I have been on for the past year, and it has been great for me.

I will look up the liver herbs.

What do y'all do for repairing cell membranes, supporting mitochondria, and reducing oxidative stress? I am taking lecithin and a lot of vitamins and minerals (the list is upthread, maybe page 2.)

ahmo

I've just learned that biotin is important in cell membrane repair. I've been self-testing for a lot of it, esp. after my coffee enemas. Carnitine supports mitochondria. I suppose you'd say that B12/folate do, too...I think basically everything we're doing and taking is about supporting mitochondria. I just looked at Mark's Daily Apple list..same things as Mercola, mg.....

Here's a bit from Andrew Weil re oxidative stress
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400537/Stumped-by-Oxidative-Stress.html
Oxidative stress is the total burden placed on organisms by the constant production of free radicals in the normal course of metabolism plus whatever other pressures the environment brings to bear (natural and artificial radiation, toxins in air, food and water; and miscellaneous sources of oxidizing activity, such as tobacco smoke).

Our bodies aren't helpless in the face of these assaults. We have defenses against oxidative stress in the form of physical barriers to contain free radicals at their sites of production within cells; enzymes that neutralize dangerously reactive forms of oxygen; substances in our diets (such as vitamin C and vitamin E) that can "quench" free radicals by donating electrons to them and cutting off the chain reactions early in their course; repair mechanisms to take care of oxidative damage to DNA, proteins and membranes; and complex stress responses that include programmed cell suicide if damage is too great.

A good case can be made for the notion that health depends on a balance between oxidative stress and antioxidant defenses. Aging and age-related diseases reflect the inability of our antioxidant defenses to cope with oxidative stress over time. The good news is that with strong antioxidant defenses, long life without disease should be possible.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

Things I'm using:

Vit C I use C for anti-histamine. From 1 tsp (5gm)-2 Tb when detoxxing, in footbath, so ascorbic acid fine.

E succinate, per Amy Yasko. I don't remember if this is for specific SNP...this is "dry" Vit E. (Jarrow, Nutricology

Astaxanthin...I've only used this in last few months. My body likes it. Pretty inexpensive, Dr's Best from iherb.

Pycnogenol

Ubiquinol...here's Wikipedia on Ubiquinol:
The antioxidant action of ubiquinol is now considered to be one of the most important functions in cellular systems.
Ubiquinol is a potent lipophilic antioxidant capable of regenerating other antioxidants such as tocopherol (Vitamin E) and ascorbate (Vitamin C). Recent studies have also revealed its function in gene expression involved in human cell signaling, metabolism, and transport.[3][4][5][6]

Mercola also lists ALA, Reservatrol:hug:

Mercola Ultimate Guide to Anti-Oxidants [first section scientific, 2nd section lists diff sorts]
http://articles.mercola.com/antioxidants.aspx#!

whodathunkit

@ahmo...good post! I take all of those except the pyncnogenol and vitamin E succinate. For the vitamin E I take tocotreinols instead. Dunno if those are contraindicated for some snps or not but I really like tocotreinols in general. Do you have any idea why Yasko recommends succinate over other forms?

A word about ALA to all...if you take ALA you should take some extra biotin. ALA "uses" biotin at a speedier rate somehow, thus increasing the need for it. I don't know exactly what the ratio is but for added insurance I just take some extra biotin every day. It also has nice properties for skin and hair. You might have to experiment a little to figure out how much to use so as not to throw the rest of the B's out of balance. I haven't noticed much problem with biotin (the only thing that seems to really throw me off is any form of niacin), but YMMV.

@Nila.Jones: have you read Radio's thread on mitochondria repair? I found it enlightening

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/reverse-mitochondrial-damage-101.28175/

Also, if you use the forum search with the term "mitochondria", limited by "Posted by Forum Member 'Radio'", you get lots of interesting hits. Healing mitochondrial damage in the course of CFS is his thing and he's making quite a study of it. He's got lots of good posts. That thread above is my favorite.

@NilaJones Here's what Heartfixer (consolidated Yasko) writes about COMT. (my added highlight color)
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

You wrote that you are using essential oils for detox. Can you please share which essential oils you use? I use doTERRA and am trying to use as many products as I can to use for the Yasko protocol. I'm using Juniper Berry for Kidneys, Slim & Sassy for metabolism, On Guard, Oregano, Melaleuca for bacteria & candida.
~ swilson

"I'm doing coffee enemas because I continued to have bloating after 2 years on GAPS. I decided to increase my detoxxing. This has been reinforced for me in Dietrich Klinghardt's vid presentation, emphasis on detox, detox, detox. I've recently added a few essential oils that have ramped up my detox. But you need to be gentle and slow for now. Hope this finds you feeling better".:hug: ahmo

ahmo

@Swilson, First, I'm using saWilson special coffee. ;)I assume no relation.

Clove + lemongrass are recommended for biofilm busting, oregano oil for anti-bacteria. I added eucalyptus oil, which I then dropped in favor of tea tree oil, which you're already using (malaleuca) I saw eucalypt called Champion biofilm buster. It seems to me that the phenols carry the other oils deeper/better into the body. I decided to use 3:1 eucalypt/tea tree to the other 3. That is, I make a mix w/ 2 droppers full clove, lemongrass, oregano and 6 droppers full tea tree.

Once I made this potent mix, my body self-tested + for putting oil on my torso, which it hadn't before this. So on my enema days, I slathered my torso, covering all my organs, neck and throat, drops on top of head, as well as jaw, face. I'm now taking a break from my 4 days on/2 days off coffee enemas, which I've been doing for about 3 months. The one specific thing I observe now is that I'm no longer needing to take my anti-histamine supps daily. That's a first. I'm also no longer testing + for bentonite clay. It's been a full-time project. I'm happy to have this week off, think I may be shifting to 1 week/month now.

Dietrich Klinghardt recommends Biosil for biofilm busting. The ingredients are basically collagen, choline, silica. I'm getting those things by using the components individually (collagen, choline) plus diatomaceous earth for silica. These things together really moved my detox process forward. I was able to stay out of feeling toxic by adding a lot of histamine and sulfur/ammonia-reducing supps following my coffee enemas. cheers, ahmo

Alas, no. Nor am I of the Wilson co. for sports gear. Sigh :)
Thank you for your info! Have you taken an antifungal drug for Candida or stayed a-natural? Fed up with merry-go round of MRSA, Candida, Parasites. Gave up and am taking Clindamycin antibiotic for MRSA (bummer because for years I've avoided drugs) but now causing serious Candida, again. Just want to have it under a bit of control before I start Yasko Simplified Protocol Step 2 (supplementing short cut) soon. My last Candida oil blend 'Killer' with Oregano, On Guard (Thieves) & Melaleuca caused depression after a few days. Ahh... Tradeoffs.

Watching Yasko webinar on H. Pylori part 2 where she mentions staph infections and 2 other things are common.
Trying to piece it all together - high learning curve.
She mentioned in Microbes & Metals this is priority list:
1) Proper Nutrition
2) Support Methylation Cycle
3) Support Imbalances to Bypass (I guess this means SNP's)
4) THEN systematically deal with Bacteria
5) Chelate Heavy Metals
6) Clean up Gut Swamp
7) Rebuild & Recovery

Take Care! swilson

I have sleep issues on TMG. Just starting out in the journey after finding out I have double MTHFR double mutation. Any advice welcome expcept melatonin. That puts me in a coma.

Hello, thanks so much for your advice. It's not a nice feeling I get from melatonin, it's horrible too much sleep groggy feeling and tbh I didn't get along with 5HTP either, that did the same so I didn't bother playing around with the dosages I just felt a bit put off but I may try again. Ive added B6 in and ordered some Ashwaghanda, and I've halved the TMG dose and im taking it every three days. That's seems to keep the fog at bay, along with the Methyl folate. I got confused with the GABA - is there a brand anyone could recommend if you're in the UK please? Are you guys doing better on the protocol?

Hi,
I received a b12 shot when I was a little low 392 and it caused my heart to race, nights sweats and insomnia. My heart rate now after a month been getting better but not my sleep. I hate the dr who gave it to me without checking my last level was 440, I have never had issues sleeping. Does anyone know what can reverse these symptoms? I cannot believe my drs mistake can cause me permanent insomnia?

PeterPositive

Hi,
I received a b12 shot when I was a little low 392 and it caused my heart to race, nights sweats and insomnia. My heart rate now after a month been getting better but not my sleep. I hate the dr who gave it to me without checking my last level was 440, I have never had issues sleeping. Does anyone know what can reverse these symptoms? I cannot believe my drs mistake can cause me permanent insomnia?
I have replied to another similar post of yours today... just wanted to add that B12 serum levels aren't conclusive evidence that you have enough B12. It can, at best, be used to detect a deficiency, not sufficiency. The reason is that serum B12 needs many more steps to become active and to perform its biological functions. You may have plenty of serum B12 and still be deficient due to conversion or transport blockages.

I actually though do not have me/Cfs, shouldn't have ever gotten the shot. Either way how long until a shot wears off? Will I lose this AdrenLine and get tired and sleep again? Or once this has happened is it permanent? What kind of dr could help me with my reaction? I cannot believe one shot can ruin a lifetime of rest and sleep.