• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Which Methyl B12 sublingual brands have you tried and found effective?

Poll: Which Methyl B12 sublingual brands have you tried and found effective?

• Country Life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Natural Factors

• Bluebonnet

• Life Extension

• Thorne Research

• DaVinci Laboratories

• Protocol for Life Balance

• Nutricology

• Olympian Labs

• MRM

• Progressive Labs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

arx

For discussions on the changes in the Jarrow Methyl-B12, this is the thread:
jarrow- did it change???"

This poll is a means to share responses from experience gathered from all of us, in order to help all of us. I hope this is a useful idea and a lot of people contribute to it.

Please cast your votes for the brands you found effective and would recommend to others.

If you want to vote for a brand which is not there in the options, please mention it in a post in this thread.

Thanks.

Crux

Hi Arx;

This post is to let you know that I voted for AOR and Enzymatic Therapy. I haven't tried most of the other choices, so I'm very interested in people's opinions about them.

Thanks for creating this thread.

roxie60

I'm taking PUREencapsulations (not on the list) MB12 5000 but I dont know it is evvective. That leads to this question, how does one know if the MB12 sublinqual or any B12 is effective? What is the evidence in your body that tells you it is working? I took B12 cobolamin shots 2x's month and my B12 numbers went up when blodd tested so Dr thought I was improving because my numbers went up. I reported for nearly two years I felt no better, no improved energy, no improvement in brain (brain fog, comprehension etc did not improve). Then she found I have MTHFR A1298C and said the shots were of no value (even though number went up). Now ben on MB12 sublinqual since end of March 2012 and my question is still how will I know if it is effective? What are you expectations when taking B12?

arx

I personally did not have any expectations before taking mb12. I thought I would get better. When I started off, my symptoms became worse and I experienced more neurological symptoms which when I researched was referred to by others as startup effects. From reading views of many people and my personal experience, I have come to the understanding that the "effectiveness" can be judged by:

1. The startup effects. More startup effects means more effectiveness.

2. After taking mb12 for about 3 months, I found that those startup effects were reducing in intensity and simultaneously healing was taking place in some parts of my body. It was and is still happening VERY slowly and I might be wrong too.But I guess after consuming for a certain amount of time, one can tell whether the product is working for him or not.

This is my understanding. It may be incorrect, but this is what I could figure out till now.

I would really like to know your thoughts on how can one know if a product is effective for him/her.
Is the irony that which mb12 gets you worse initially is more effective really true?

arx

Ok. Thanks for your reply. I wish I could edit the poll and add your option, but it does not seem possible.

roxie60

I am very new to all this so my expectation of effectiveness is whether symptoms are reduced or elliminated. I'm not sure if I would have noticed start up effects because when I started MB12 (pill and subliqual) I was very ill (bedridden). But my expectation based on others reports were improved energy (no) and improved brain function (less fog, better memory and comprehension, etc - I have had less fog, that is all I can report but I dont know if that is becuase I'm out of the flareup or is it becuase of MB12). I am curious as people report what MB12 has been effective if they would also state how they determined it was effective (blood tests or reduced sysmptoms).

arx

I think the symptoms do get better, but it takes a lot of time. Also, I think the startup effects vary from person to person depending on how much one is healed and what damage is there inside one's body. There must be a lot of issues related to one's ability to say that this product is effective. I think some of them are: how much the body is responding to the protocol, whether co-factors are being taken in the right amount, and co-factor deficiencies are being treated side by side. I guess it is all very complicated. What works for one may not work for other, but some similarities can provide a common ground of understanding.

Even I am curious, as I am also new to all this, and can be considered an infant when compared to the experience on this protocol of many members on this website. I would therefore, like to know from them, as they are obviously better judges and can help us with their insight.

jeffrez

I've taken sublingual Country Life, which gave me really bad anxiety symptoms, and Jarrow methyl-B12, which was very effective in increasing my serum B12 levels from below normal to >1200 in a very short time (days or weeks). I've had labs since then that I think showed it in the 1600s, but I can't find the result now. Regardless, there's no question that the Jarrow is effective in raising serum b12.

Phred

Arx, I've tried the Now brand, AOR, Enzymatic Therapy, Source Naturals and Jarrow. I voted for Now, AOR and Enzymatic Therapy. Source Naturals was awful and dissolved almost instantly and the Jarrow I tried was of the newer batches that others have said is less effective.

Roxie60 I remember looking up Pure Encapsulations (when I was looking for a B-complex). Do they have a tablet sublingual or are you using the liquid b12? If it's the liquid that might be why you're not noticing the effects. When I take my b12 I keep the tablets in my mouth for as long as possible. Unfortunately I can only make the AOR tabs last a half hour max. When I used Jarrow I could get it to last almost an hour, but it wasn't very effective.

pela

For the past week or so I have been conducting a very unscientific and subjective experiement on three brands of methyl B12: Jarrow two X 5 mg (for a total of 10 mg per dose), AOR ultra 15 mg, and Solgar two x 5 mg (for a total of 10 mg per dose). I generally take 36 mg of methyl B12 daily and started the Active B12 protocol three months ago. I also take 5.2 mg of folate and 5 mg of ADb12 daily. Before I did the experiment I was taking 15 mg AOR when I got up, 10 mg of Solgar Mb12 and one Enzymatic Therapy Mb12 at midday, and 10 mg Solage Mb12 in the late afternoon.

Since I have a reaction to my first daily dose of MB12 each morning, I started alternating brands in the morning and comparing the results.

During the first round I was deficient in potassium. All three brands caused me to have low potassium symptoms of irregular heartbeats and some degree of jitteriness. I started supplementing potassium again, along with magnesium and repeated the experiment over the next three days. The second time around, the irregular heartbeats diminished considerably allowing me to observe other symptoms that occured within an hour of taking Mb12.

In both rounds, Solgar methyl B12, two 5 mg tablets, caused me to experience tingling and fidgeting, and some degree of a buzzing feeling and brief nerve twinges.

In both rounds Jarrow methyl B12, two 5 mg tablets, caused brief tingling and some fidgeting.

In both rounds, AOR Ultra methyl B12 15 mg produced fewer symptoms. No tingling or fidgeting in the first round, a little in the second.

My conclusion:

Solgar methyl B12 5000 mcg is the strongest of the three.

Jarrow methyl B12 5000 mcg is the second strongest of the three.

AOR Ultra methyl B12 15 mg. is the weakest.

I won't be buying AOR again.

I plan to continue with Jarrow, Solgar and Enzmatic Therapy. I suspect that when I run out of AOR I will be able to replace the 15 mg tab with 10 mg or less of one of the other brands, and actually save money.

roxie60

Arx, I've tried the Now brand, AOR, Enzymatic Therapy, Source Naturals and Jarrow. I voted for Now, AOR and Enzymatic Therapy. Source Naturals was awful and dissolved almost instantly and the Jarrow I tried was of the newer batches that others have said is less effective.

Roxie60 I remember looking up Pure Encapsulations (when I was looking for a B-complex). Do they have a tablet sublingual or are you using the liquid b12? If it's the liquid that might be why you're not noticing the effects. When I take my b12 I keep the tablets in my mouth for as long as possible. Unfortunately I can only make the AOR tabs last a half hour max. When I used Jarrow I could get it to last almost an hour, but it wasn't very effective.

I am using liquid MB12, also take Metanx and B complex supllement.

arx

Can someone please post links to the AOR Methyl B12 product? I cannot find it on iherb. Where do you guys buy it from?

Also, I have a question for people living in the US. Some of my friends might be visiting US from India and I will be telling them to get some supplements for me. I'm on Freddd's protocol,so I'll be telling them to get things like adb12, carnitine,b complex, mb12, ALA, TMG, SAM-e,etc.

Are these supplements(Now foods/AOR/Solgar/Source Naturals,etc.) easily available at health stores/pharmacies in the US? I'm concerned whether or not they will be able to locate the products I want easily or not. Any help on the availability of these supplements will be of great help, because I have no idea about it.

Thanks!

Phred

Arx, AOR is a Canadian company. I get my supplements from nationalnutrition.ca

If your friends are staying at a hotel you could have your iherb order shipped to the hotel. Just make sure the order name is the same as the reservation name so the front desk knows to hold the package until your friends check in.

Phred

Sorry, I can't tell you about stores in the states. I'm in Canada. I can get the AOR locally, but national nutrition is cheaper. And yes, that link is the correct one.

I worked in hotels for years, in another life, and unless the place is a real dump there shouldn't be a problem with the front desk accepting a package for one of their guests.

Victronix

I was taking Jarrow and it worked fine for a long time and then it seemed that they changed something and it totally stopped working for me. They moved to plastic bottles also around that time, but it's unclear if there was any relationship. I then moved to Solgar, since they use tinted glass bottles, have been around a long time, etc. Solgar has been fine and is easier because it's a much smaller tablet.

My concern with Jarrow was their total refusal to address the problem or even ask any questions, etc. I tried contacting them numerous times, via direct email and on the website. Although they had previously responded to my questions in the past about other products (i.e., is it okay to freeze D3?), they were totally unresponsive on the change to the B-12. That's a red flag for me. I continue to use their other products, but B-12 is very fragile and has a huge impact on anyone with a deficiency if there are changes, so, I no longer trust them for that.

arx

It's very sad that such a trusted product has reached such a state now. Freddd should again test the b12 products scientifically and post his revised ratings. Also, Jarrow should consider and improve their product, as I'm sure we constitute a large portion of their B12 market share.